Norton or TechTool?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
We're looking for a utility for work and I'd like to get your recommendations on which utility is better for OS X - Norton or TechTool? I've had experience with Techtool 3 at home and Norton here at work. Our MIS guy didn't like Norton as much...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Norton + Mac OS X = very BAD mojo.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Norton + Mac OS X = very BAD mojo.

Disk Warrior followed by nothing....
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Yes, Disk Warrior is king.

Get it now!
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Yes, Disk Warrior is king.

Get it now!

I knew Disk Warrior was top banana but I thought it was helpful only with directory problems. Can it also defrag and do other Norton-type problem fixing? Or is DiskWarrior a supplemental program?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Master Chief

I knew Disk Warrior was top banana but I thought it was helpful only with directory problems. Can it also defrag and do other Norton-type problem fixing? Or is DiskWarrior a supplemental program?

Disk Warrior rebuilds directories as part of an overall strategy for repairing your damaged hard disk. That does not mean that repairing directories is all it does. Disk Warrior is the ultimate consumer disk repair and data recovery utility for the Mac. Only a professional data recovery service will give you better results than Disk Warrior.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. Me

Only a professional data recovery service will give you better results than Disk Warrior.

If you get yourself in that much trouble you might try Data Rescue. I have had two cases where nothing including Disk Warrior could get my drive back into a mountable state but Data Rescue saved my data. On the other hand, Data Rescue's interface almost had me give up and decide it wasn't worth it. They claim to have improved the interface in more recent versions but luckily I haven't had a chance to try it out.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Exactly. Data Rescue and Disk Warrior are the best combination. TechTool Pro is useful for various other diagnostics but Micromat is having trouble getting it out, and its usefulness is waning.

NEVER use Norton.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Exactly. Data Rescue and Disk Warrior are the best combination. TechTool Pro is useful for various other diagnostics but Micromat is having trouble getting it out, and its usefulness is waning.

NEVER use Norton.

let's not entirely B&G Nortons. They were amongst the first for Mac. I still use olde versions 3.5 for cleaning up 68k macs..

And 5 still works for early PPC units...

But OS-X is where they just totally lost the plot..

Good grief Charlie Brown......