Software recommendation for monitoring DSL connection

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi all,

After reading another thread I was more curious about port attacks from my Verizon DSL. Before the "Great Blackout" of Northeast, I rarely got port attacks. After the power was restored in Manhattan, I get PING tests every second. It really slows down my connection. Secondly, I am getting suspicious because my RECEIVE indicator shows a lot of activity because of non-stop ping tests but why is there activity on the SEND indicator?

I have Norton Personal Firewall 1.0.2 on OS X. I had a later release but for some reason it allowed certain port attacks which I had closed all. The 1.0.2 version seem to indicate that all ports are denied. I have run third party tests via websites and tells me that my computer is very secure. BUT, if Norton has closed off all ports (and indicates so) why should there be any activity in the SEND indicator as Apple's Connect Internet Connect?

Are there good third party program recommendations that would monitor how much info is coming in and how much is going out (showing in kilobytes file sizes)?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Net Monitor can display a live graph of your upstream and downstream, but it doesn't have any advanced logging or packet monitoring features.

As for your confusion about Norton, I suspect that it was only blocking incoming packets and not outgoing packets. I personally prefer BrickHouse for configuring Apple's built-in firewall rather than use third-party solutions. In BrickHouse, the rules are clearly labeled as to how it blocks the ports. It also has an option to log denied packets.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    kwondokwondo Posts: 217member
    Brad,

If you are available, I would love to pick your brain regarding your advice. Other people have told me about brickhouse but I couldn't understand how to properly configure all the settings.

Thanks
  • Reply 3 of 3
    kwondokwondo Posts: 217member
    So,

I tried Brickhouse again and still don't know if I have the config. correct. According to NetMonitor, there still is "SEND"/outgoing activity. So, with Apple's firewall active (this is the first time I was able to get it active afer trashing Norton Personal firewall 1.0.2) I went to Symantic's site and tested there security check test. All we're good except ICMP were being sent out. How can I prevent it from being sent?