No New PM at MWSF???

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hello all...

I'm a very long time lurker in these forums but i started to post only lately...

All these rumors around a new PowerMac and iMac, G4 or G5 make me wonder what really goes on... It sounds like a few rumors are getting mixed all the time...

I'm based in Israel and i have a few good friends at the official representative of Apple here (called Yeda). I was told yesterday by one of them that the CEO ordered this week a big quantity of DP 800... Sound very weird to me... Not logical at all after all what i'm reading here and there about new PM... Why this CEO would order so much DP knowing that new PM are coming... I don't think he plans to sell this much DP here in less than a week (the 500 euro rebate ends at 31/12/01)...

Ok, you would tell me that only close ppl to Jobs knows what will come at MWSF and so... Let's suppose for a second it's true and the CEO doesn't know what will coming. BUT, and here's my point and it's a big BUT, he may know what WILL NOT be coming at MWSF...

So maybe, yes, the G5 is in the work but not ready for MWSF and will be shipping in march (at the end of the clock turn) and the MWSF will be iMac only (and maybe this new breakthrough device if it's not the iMac). Now this big order sounds rather logical...

Let's suppose the PMG5 will be _introduced_ at MWSF but not shipping until march. That's mean big rebates on all current line and then DP also which can fly out of the shelf...

In two weeks we'll know for sure. But until then it's just a thought i wanted to share with all of you... What do you think?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    If the G5 IS introduced, you can be sure that Israel WILL NOT be getting it immediately. Export regulations with the G4 were tight. They are even tighter after September 11. As Israel is currently a 'hot bed' for terrorist activity, I would not expect the G5 any time soon.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    A lot of people do buy new powermacs and other macs even though new ones are coming out shortly. You'll find stories like that around here from time to time. Who knows? They might have cut him a deal. Apple (IMO) has been agressivly trying to push out imacs and powermacs as quietly as possible, giving out big discount to developers, etc..
  • Reply 3 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong>If the G5 IS introduced, you can be sure that Israel WILL NOT be getting it immediately. Export regulations with the G4 were tight. They are even tighter after September 11. As Israel is currently a 'hot bed' for terrorist activity, I would not expect the G5 any time soon.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Franz, I know that. But Israel had always have tight relationship with the USA. ANd we got the G4 s immediately after they introduction. Mine is a proof of that So it can't be an explanation for me...
  • Reply 4 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by Nebrie:

<strong>A lot of people do buy new powermacs and other macs even though new ones are coming out shortly. You'll find stories like that around here from time to time. Who knows? They might have cut him a deal. Apple (IMO) has been agressivly trying to push out imacs and powermacs as quietly as possible, giving out big discount to developers, etc..</strong><hr></blockquote>

A deal!... that may be the answer to this clue... At the end of january, the 3rd commercial channel will go on air... Maybe they got a big order of DP 800 for Uncompressed Video After Effects workstations... It may explain this big order...

I hope it's the good reason and we'll see G5 at MWSF )
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Well maybe Israel ordered all those DP machines so they can model all those nuclear explosions they'll be sending over to Pakistan Personally I think we should hook Pakistan up so they can get rid of Israel and reclaim what's rightfully theirs

Just a thought........

[ 12-26-2001: Message edited by: budz420 ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by budz420:

<strong>Well maybe Israel ordered all those DP machines so they can model all those nuclear explosions they'll be sending over to Pakistan Personally I think we should hook Pakistan up so they can get rid of Israel and reclaim what's rightfully theirs

Just a thought........

[ 12-26-2001: Message edited by: budz420 ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

You're just a tad bit (vast understatement) confused. You're either thinking of the current tensions between Pakistan and India or you're thinking of the tensions between the Palestinians and Israel or you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. I suggest that you stick to computers until you understand international affairs a little better.

I, for one, am hoping that G5's come before the end of the fiscal year (June). I don't have new computer hardware budgeted for next year.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    budz420, You are a dumbass. Quit breathing.

[ 12-26-2001: Message edited by: Bophasa ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 13
    I thought it was pretty funny and made myself laugh I just wanted to make a point that this thread doesn't mean a damn thing
  • Reply 9 of 13
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member

<strong>Well maybe Israel ordered all those DP machines so they can model all those nuclear explosions they'll be sending over to Pakistan Personally I think we should hook Pakistan up so they can get rid of Israel and reclaim what's rightfully theirs

Just a thought........

[ 12-26-2001: Message edited by: budz420 ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Bad form budz, even if your info. is inaccurate. Bad form.
  • Reply 10 of 13

<strong>I thought it was pretty funny and made myself laugh I just wanted to make a point that this thread doesn't mean a damn thing </strong><hr></blockquote>

I took it as a joke... i'm not sure u know the difference between Palestinian, Pakistan, Israel and others countries. But never mind, it's far off this thread anyway.

About your point, maybe it's pointless for you but i thought and still think it may say something to what will come.

As i said, we'll know for sure in two weeks...

[ 12-26-2001: Message edited by: Rasti- ]</p>
  • Reply 11 of 13
    ugh... guys...

FUTURE HARDWARE.

(insert pro-israeli argument here)
  • Reply 12 of 13
    [quote]Originally posted by Fran441:

<strong> [SNIP] As Israel is currently a 'hot bed' for terrorist activity, I would not expect the G5 any time soon.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Fran, your statement is pretty ambiguous, but I hope you're referring to Israel as the victim of "Arab terrorist activity." (I apologize for further politicizing this thread, Jonathan, but I think this was a valid point to make.)

To get back slightly on topic, though, perhaps the high level Apple official spoken of couldn't pass up the opportunity to acquire these machines. Dual 800s will still be great machines, even if G5s truly are coming out soon - they just won't be the pinnacle of performance anymore. I don't think this information is too indicative of any future hardware introductions. I personally believe the G5s won't be out until July, unfortunately.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    rasti-rasti- Posts: 34member
    i told you

no new PW @ MWNY...

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: Rasti- ]</p>