Why has my wireless connection turned bad?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I used to be able to walk along the parameter of my house without it going below 3 bars, now if I get on the other side of one of our outer walls (made of brick) it completely drops. Any ideas as to why? Does the channel matter? Is it because I am downloading at good speeds...is it because I bought a refurbished wireless router?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    It could be a ton of things... do you microwave much?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

It could be a ton of things... do you microwave much?

Um...a decent amount...probably once a day at least...why?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

Um...a decent amount...probably once a day at least...why?

Microwaves interfere with the signal from your router. Interference means a low quality signal. Although I doubt that is it. It could be that if your walls are made of brick the signal is having more difficulty penetrating it. Every time your signal has to go through a wall or something like it, the quality will drop. That is why a wireless router works from so much farther away when it, and you, are outside. Inside, the signal has to go through too many things for you to get good reception from really far away. I would have to say it is your brick walls, not your router. However, if the signal does not improve when you have a clear sight line to the router, I would say that it might be time for a new one.

Note for the future: This kind of post would probably be better suited for Genius Bar.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Try changing the channel. I found that it can help significantly.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Could it be related to the weather? I can't think why but ... it does change with the seasons.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Thanks all I'll go through and try to change the channels. I didn't have tghe microwave on while I was trying to use my signal though. I guess it could be the weather, I mean I know weather (I think humidity) effects radio signals but I'm not sure to the extent that I'd even notice. Again thanks
  • Reply 7 of 8
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    It's "perimeter". Do you program (too) much?

Metal, brick, concrete and stone will decrease your wireless range.

Don't we all know this by know based on life experience?

Ever make a cell phone call in an elevator or basement? For long?

Ever hear your radio fade out to nothing while in a tunnel or under a bridge?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    i experienced that same problem with my router. it just got worse one day and i couldn't figure it out. how would i change the channel? i never really messed much with it because i wasn't usually that far away from it...