xhost: Command not found WTF?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Okay, I've been using X11 on occasion to run an x program at work. It's pretty simple, I launch X11, type "xhost +" (I know, I'm enabling everything, but it's only for a few minutes and then I shut X11 down). Once I type that, I then ssh to the machine that runs the app and launch the app.

Well today (it's been a few weeks since I've had to run this app) I launch X11 and type my usual "xhost +" only to be greeted by "xhost: Command not found." Of course, this means I am unable to run that program.

What happened? Where did xhost go?

The only thing I can think of that has changed is I decided to remove fink a couple weeks ago. One of the steps involved removing the /sw/bin directory. I'm *sure* that directory (or the /sw for that matter) didn't exist prior to installing fink, and further, I had X11 running long before I ever installed fink.

Any ideas???

Please help!

[edit below]

PS - As a followup, I did a find and determined that xhost is still on my system in /usr/X11R6/bin, and when I run it including it's full path from xterm, it does it's thing, so I'm a step closer. However, I don't understand why I need to type the full path now. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Yeah, you need to add /usr/X11R6/bin to your path.

Sounds like you *may* have had a second X11 installation in Fink, and it was using that one instead of the one you expected, but now it's gone, and it can't find the remaining one.

Add the following line to your .cshrc file:

set PATH $PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin

Then any *new* Terminal windows should find it just fine.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Thanks!