Elliott Smith - Dead at 34

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I really enjoyed his music. What could have been so bad that he needed to take his own life?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...nguage=printer

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Quote:

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Brooding singer-songwriter Elliott Smith (news), who earned an Oscar nomination and widespread notice for his 1997 single "Miss Misery" from the film "Good Will Hunting," has died at age 34 in an apparent suicide, officials said on Wednesday.

Yeah, its surprising because there were no clues up until this point that he might have been suffering from depression.

But seriously, depression is an illness. There need-not be anything wrong with a person's life for them to suffer from depression.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Willoughby

I really enjoyed his music. What could have been so bad that he needed to take his own life?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp...nguage=printer

life...

i've always meant to buy his music, now i will since i like Nick drake
  • Reply 4 of 14
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

life...

i've always meant to buy his music, now i will since i like Nick drake

Nick Drake and Elliott Smith are both on the iTMS.

In the attempted suicide scene in the Royal Tenenbaums the music playing in the background is "Needle in the Hay" by Smith. I was just watching it the other day and thought about how appropriate that song sounded for that scene. \
  • Reply 5 of 14
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Big fan here.

That's quite a way to go. I had a close friend who did it to his neck and bled to death. Maybe that way you are sure.

Tonton, unfortunately the links on that site appear broken.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    man... why must these things happen
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Willoughby

In the attempted suicide scene in the Royal Tenenbaums the music playing in the background is "Needle in the Hay" by Smith.

That scene was the first thing I thought about when I heard how he'd died. Apparently Smith was having problems (again) with alcoholism and heroin addiction...vee sad...
  • Reply 8 of 14
    This is very sad. I, too, was meaning to get around to buying his music some time. I think I'll pick up an album from iTMS later. Depression and drug addiction are two things that shouldn't mix.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

Here's a nice linky for you, burningwheel.

Sound quality is pretty bad, but t's really rare stuff.

I've also got Tanworth in Arden I on CD!

I love Nick.

But now I've got to go buy all the Eels albums.

I guess Elliot just wasn't ready yet.

thanks tonton but the tunes are gone. i've always meant to get TIA I
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by tonton

If you can find it, get it. It's a must have for any Nick fan. TIA II is optional, as it's really mostly junk.

But first, make sure you have the four official albums, as all of them are awesome.

yes i have fruit tree