Crazy Apple Press

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I just checked the front page of google news and it's nothing but Apple, Apple, Apple.......

I have never seen Apple get so much press for so many different things. And I imagine things like the launch of Panther and WiniTunes continued success will keep them in the headlines for at least another week or so.

Question is, is this just more mind-share for Apple that doesn't really translate into anything or is Lord Jobs finally bring Apple to that ethereal next step of not only increased mind-share but the market share to match?

My guess, probably not. But it's nice to have lots of Mac articles to read while I'm at work.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Um, dont be shocked if they are detecting your OS and showing Apple news. I wonder what the same page says from a Windows PC. I don't know if that site does that, but others do. Gives you a fairly skewed view of the world when that happens. I hate that type of "marketed news"...

But Apple is indeed in the news more lately. Marketshare? Apple loses more than it gains I wager. It gains people but others leave or get PCs alongside their Macs. Others don't bite and continue to use their old Macs. Marketshare is largely moot. It's profitability that matters. Cash on hand. Their scale doesn't matter (to me, a user) as long as they can be profitable.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    My Sci-Tech headlines on Google, looking from a Windows PC that admittedly visits Mac sites a lot:

Apple Debuts Lower-Priced iBooks

AppleTweaks iTunes for Windows

A Low-Cost Supercomputer from 1,100 Apple PC's

• Reply 3 of 4
    I too get 3 Apple stories from a windows laptop that's hardly visited an Apple site. I know web-companies are increasingly targetting advertising to suit location/computer but I don't think they've resorted to doing the same to news stories.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by s.metcalf

I too get 3 Apple stories from a windows laptop that's hardly visited an Apple site. I know web-companies are increasingly targetting advertising to suit location/computer but I don't think they've resorted to doing the same to news stories.

Some may do the targeting of news (cnn.com, for example), but I don't think that google has done that. They're generally on the up and up. And they wouldn't be able to tell what sites are frequently visited by reading your cookies because only the server that set them can read them. So unless you clicked on a link from google that linked to a mac page and they set a cookie, there's no way they would know.