Fast User Switching and iTunes

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Saw this on macnn forums. You can hack iTunes to allow it to run for multiple users at once. Here's how:

Open up the iTunes package and edit the Info.plist. Near the bottom are the following lines:

Code:

<key>LSMultipleInstancesProhibited</key>

<true/>

If you delete these lines and duplicate the application, one user can run one and another user can run the other. I've personally tested this and can confirm that it works.

Here's what doesn't work (and likely why this is currently disabled):

* Music Sharing is not possible between the two iTunes instances

* Both shares are not accessible for from other machines -- the names are confused and it will only really share one user's files.

I personally want to share one user's tunes with another user on the same Mac. I'll keep playing as I bet this hack is a good start.

DISCLAIMER: Editing applications can break stuff. Don't do it unless you're brave. Its not my fault if you screw something up, all your files get deleted, you get fired, and die.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

I personally want to share one user's tunes with another user on the same Mac. I'll keep playing as I bet this hack is a good start.

It makes sense to me that we should be able to share music with multiple users on one machine. Keep it up, I'll be following along.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    It's easy to share one iTunes library with more than one user on a single Mac running Jaguar (one user at a time logged-in). Here's Apple's instructions on how to do it.

I don't have access to Panther yet, so no guarantees this won't change with the next version of iTunes.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Voxapps

It's easy to share one iTunes library with more than one user on a single Mac running Jaguar (one user at a time logged-in). Here's Apple's instructions on how to do it.

I don't want one kludged library where each user just references the same set of files. I want separate user libraries that can be shared using the same technique as rendezvous-based network sharing.