Apple Laser Writer 16/600

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hi everyone,

My school has an old Apple LaserWriter 16/600 (I think ... going by memory) which they are willing to give me. They're clearing out old equipment and they know that I am the resident Mac-head in a seafull of PC users.

Anyway, can I get this to work with my TiPB550 running OS X (10.2.6 - and hopefully 10.3 soon)?

I'd also like to be able to set up an Airport Extreme base station, so my wife can also use this printer. Will this be possible?

I have no idea what I need to do or connect it to ... so any help (no matter how simple) is surely appreciated!

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    make sure you have the strongest table available, because that is one *heavy* sucker...
  • Reply 2 of 3
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    and this is really 'current hardware' or 'genius bar' but never mind...

now i had one of these printers for a while. when i had it hooked up to my previous mac (a PM 6500). let me say it was cable mayhem...

i had to run an adaptor from the localtalk port, to old coaxial bale, and then hook it up to an old pci card in my mac. if you can get it connected it might print over appletalk, but i wouldn't say for sure...

it will keep you busy!
  • Reply 3 of 3
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    Quote:

Originally posted by othello

and this is really 'current hardware' or 'genius bar' but never mind...

now i had one of these printers for a while. when i had it hooked up to my previous mac (a PM 6500). let me say it was cable mayhem...

i had to run an adaptor from the localtalk port, to old coaxial bale, and then hook it up to an old pci card in my mac. if you can get it connected it might print over appletalk, but i wouldn't say for sure...

it will keep you busy!

Thanks Othello

I'm really happy just getting something else from the old rainbow Apple era ... seriously if it works, it's a bonus!

If this doesn't belong here can a mod move it to the correct forum so more will see it please? Thanks.