Classic Forum

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
I can hear it being smacked down before it's even considered.

But the Olde " Classic " based Mac machines keep doing lotsa work for lots of moms & dads & other poorer folks who can't afford the latest thing on the block.

Maybe its time to re-jig the forums so that there is a

"Classic Forum"

for all classis OS based Macs ( OS-6 to Os~9.2 ) for PPC & 68K machines where all software & hardware issues are discussed.

and a seperate

Mac Unix / Linux forum as an adjunct to OS-X

After all many are adding such softwares to their OS-X Apples.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Is there a demand for such a forum? We go over this every time a new forum is suggested. You point me to the overwhelming number of threads that deem the creation of this forum necessary, and I'll be the first one to bitch at Brad about it.

The way it stands now, there aren't a lot of threads pertaining to classic Mac OS. Those that do are easily placed into Software or the Genius Bar.

A 'Classic' forums would be just as dead as the Classic Mac OS is in Apple's eyes today.

But seriously, you provide a list of threads... and recent threads at that, which you believe warrant the creation of the forum, and we'll actually consider it. Until then, with all due respect, it isn't worth our time.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

Is there a demand for such a forum? We go over this every time a new forum is suggested. You point me to the overwhelming number of threads that deem the creation of this forum necessary, and I'll be the first one to bitch at Brad about it.

The way it stands now, there aren't a lot of threads pertaining to classic Mac OS. Those that do are easily placed into Software or the Genius Bar.

A 'Classic' forums would be just as dead as the Classic Mac OS is in Apple's eyes today.

But seriously, you provide a list of threads... and recent threads at that, which you believe warrant the creation of the forum, and we'll actually consider it. Until then, with all due respect, it isn't worth our time.

Reminds me of bus timetable frequency argument.

If less people use the bus we will cut back the frequency of service..With the net result that less people USE the service because it is less frequent and because less people use it; it gets cut back even more..thereby creating a self fulfilling prophecy.

This of course is opposed to the :

" Build it and they will come" argument.."

Perhaps it would be better to have a poll..

Anyway, the OS-X world of NewMac & the Olde world of ClassicMac is becoming bigger everyday..

I am sure even you would admit to that...
  • Reply 3 of 14
    The problem is that we've tried creation of new forums before. The most popular cited example is that of the Games forum we had. The forum got absolutely no traffic at all. It's because of past events like that which make us adopt the new policy. If we build it, they won't come. We've tried it before.

Even if we left it to a poll, and people decided we needed one... how many of those people do you think would actually post in the new forum? Probably very few, if any, of the voters.

A lot of the forums people suggest we create look good on paper, but fail in practice.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Originally posted by LoCash

" If we build it, they won't come. "

........LIke Some of Kostner's latest flops eh ! hehe..

But just to satisfy my curiosity LoCash...

How did the new forum get up and running ?

I didn't exactly see Ai'ers clammering for it...\
  • Reply 5 of 14
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    maybe there needs to be a sticky of "Don't ask for new forums, they will build themselves..." or something like that
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

maybe there needs to be a sticky of "Don't ask for new forums, they will build themselves..." or something like that

So much for taking a risk...you know..the good olde american way of trying your arm....
  • Reply 7 of 14
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    It all depends on how you look at it. MacNN:

iMac forms: 51,290 posts

iBook forms: 45,245 posts

Mac OS X: 183,832 posts(!)

Web developer: Mere 6755 posts (otta kill that form)

Games: 23,289 posts

Classic: 23,189 posts

GUI Customize: 15,275 posts

UNIX: 16,252.

Overall, I'd say:

*Having a seperate PowerB form (because of 113,128 posts on MNN) might be worth it.

*We could use a place for Perphirals. Not a form, but let you put 'em in Current Hardware or something.

* A Classic form would be all right.

* Web Developer forms will ultimately fail.

*UNIX form isn't worth it.

My vote to a Classic form? Yes. UNIX form? No, but maybe link to MNN.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryaxnb

iMac forms: 51,290 posts

iBook forms: 45,245 posts

Mac OS X: 183,832 posts(!)

Web developer: Mere 6755 posts (otta kill that form)

Games: 23,289 posts

Classic: 23,189 posts

GUI Customize: 15,275 posts

UNIX: 16,252.

Overall, I'd say:

*Having a seperate PowerB form (because of 113,128 posts on MNN) might be worth it.

*We could use a place for Perphirals. Not a form, but let you put 'em in Current Hardware or something.

* A Classic form would be all right.

* Web Developer forms will ultimately fail.

*UNIX form isn't worth it.

My vote to a Classic form? Yes. UNIX form? No, but maybe link to MNN.

ARRGH!!! It's forUm!!!

[Sorry, I just needed to get that out of my system]

Well, I think that if there ever was to be a forum that linked to MacNN, I think that everyone would cry foul. Even though AI is unofficially 'owned' by MacNN, if a link ever appeared on the main page to MacNN... well, it would be like the Washington Post Newspaper having a front page news article with "See the New York Times for the story" instead of the story itself.

It's just wrong
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Originally posted by Bauman

"....... it would be like the Washington Post Newspaper having a front page news article with "See the New York Times for the story" instead of the story itself. "

Ouch...that's how News Corp sees the future.....gloom gloom..

&......One Ring (news~source)..to bind them all....
  • Reply 10 of 14
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    use the quote button
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryaxnb

All because MacNN has a much larger member base than AI.

GUI Customize, UNIX -- these, for example, were made out of necessity like I've already said in several threads here in Suggestions. The admins didn't just arbitrarily make these and the posts trickled in after that. No, the GUI-related threads, for example, were overcrowding Mac OS X and Software so badly that subjects *actually* about Mac OS X and software were getting pushed off.

If you want to go to another forum, be my guest. We're not providing links, though, especially to MacNN. MacNN sees AI as the ugly stepchild it never wanted. We have only caused problems for MacNN. If one of us put a link to MacNN, Neal would come and remove it himself in no time.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

[B]If you want to go to another forum, be my guest. We're not providing links, though, especially to MacNN. MacNN sees AI as the ugly stepchild it never wanted. We have only caused problems for MacNN. If one of us put a link to MacNN, Neal would come and remove it himself in no time.

I think the most humorous part of all of this is that we're still hosted on a MacNN box. MacNN hates AI, but it doesn't want it to really go away. Maybe it's kind of like that brother in law that can't seem to make good with his life. You let him crash in the basement, even though you hate him.

AI is kind of like the bastard brother in law of MacNN. Yeah. I like that.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Originally posted by Brad

" We're not providing links, though, especially to MacNN. MacNN sees AI as the ugly stepchild it never wanted. We have only caused problems for MacNN. If one of us put a link to MacNN, Neal would come and remove it himself in no time. "

Wow..do they still harbor grudges....that long ?

As for Ai being the " ugly stepchild " yeah...their all jealous of our sweet natured outsider forum....
  • Reply 14 of 14
    I still run a "classic" system, but I don't see a need for a new forum. Clasic stuff can always be posted in the existing forums and still would be if we created a new forum. People tend to post where they think they will get the most reads.