What are those bumper stickers called that....

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ohkay, You know those oval shape bumper stickers that are usually white with a black border and black text? What are they called? They tell people where you have traveled to...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I thought they tell people where you're from?
  • Reply 2 of 14
    " target="_blank">http://www.internationalcarstickers....tus.html<br />

For the plain ones you are talking about check autostickers.com (on Nov 1st when they open)

They have them all...

http://216.109.117.135/search/cache?...ostickers.com/
  • Reply 3 of 14
    In europe they don't indicate where you have been TO, but in fact tell people where you are from.

I.e if i was to travel from my home onto mainland europe i would have a GB sticker on the back of my car to signify i was from Great Britain.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    This is different question, but I want to advertise my business on my car's rear window. But I want the same quality sticker as those "pissing on" stickers, but I also want to have complete control over the design. I only need two rear window stickers.

Where do you get this done at?
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Ugh. I detest those international stickers.

Stupid.

I especially value the one that means "Indy Racing League" that fools mistake for "ireland."
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Ugh. I detest those international stickers.

As do I.

They may serve a purpose in Europe, but it's just gaudy car flair here in the US. I'd swear it must be a requirement for all frat boys in North Carolina to slap an "OBX" sticker on their Jeeps and beamers to say, "Holy crap! Look at me!! I've been to the outer banks!! OMG I'm SO cool!"
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Are these things required in Europe?
  • Reply 8 of 14
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Are these things required in Europe?

Good question. I don't think it is, because many cars from germany or Belgium (i easily recocnize them) do not have the bumper stickers.

One thing is required, some stickers on the front lights of the car, especially if you travel in UK, because of the different priority there.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    What do you mean by "priority"? Do you mean the side of the road you drive on?
  • Reply 10 of 14
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

As do I.

They may serve a purpose in Europe, but it's just gaudy car flair here in the US. I'd swear it must be a requirement for all frat boys in North Carolina to slap an "OBX" sticker on their Jeeps and beamers to say, "Holy crap! Look at me!! I've been to the outer banks!! OMG I'm SO cool!"

Yeah, those are lame.

Now the VSH ones are cool.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Yes.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

Since the light diffused by the car's headlights is not evenly distributed on all directions, as it seeks to focus more on the road, it does so differently in relation to what side of the road you drive on. So headlights in the US and in continental Europe send more light on the left side, because the driving is on the right-hand side of the road, and incoming traffic is from the left-hand side. While in the UK it's vice versa.

So, when driving in the Continent, British motorists are required (although I often saw many who didn't) add specially designed stickers on their headlights, a sort of corrective ?eyepatches?. They used to paint the headlights yellow when yellow headlights were still the rule in France (something I never saw, when in France, on cars from Germany, Italy, or Switzerland).

The ?car oval? has been quite common in the postwar years when borders opened and people got to afford cars and drive abroad; I don't quite see the point of it now.

Some three years ago, Spain reformed its registration plate scheme (no more province prefix like ?M? for Madrid or ?MA? for Malaga), while France is udnergoing its own right now (the department numbers like 75 for Seine/Paris or 06 for Alpes-Maritimes, are gone too), I don't know if the new computerised schemes of these countries are related (my guess is they aren't), but then I wouldn't be surprised to see devise a European scheme in not distant future, although I hope they'd still plainly indicate the different countries/states/republics/dukedoms, like they do for states and provinces in US, Canada, Australia, India, etc.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    That would be a problem the more people that gets personal licence plates.

How would you find out which country "BIGBOY" or "HONEY" is from?
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

That would be a problem the more people that gets personal licence plates.

How would you find out which country "BIGBOY" or "HONEY" is from?

By reading the country's indictaive in very small print in the blue ?Euroband?, of course.

More likely, in case there is an integrated European registration scheme, I think there should be a plain visible indication of the country (as said above), but I guess personalised plates might become victims of such an integration anyway.

As for now, there are still differences between EU countries' plates when it comes to the background colours and the typefaces used.