Helping Labels Get Their Product Into iTunes Music Store

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
From Mac Minute:

Quote:

Apple readying 'iTunes Producer' for record labels

October 22 - 23:22 EDT__ Apple is in the process of launching new applications and marketing tools for its iTunes Music Store that aim to make it easier for record labels and artists to sell and promote music on the service. According to Billboard Bulletin (paid subscription required), Apple is preparing an application called iTunes Producer, which will help labels submit content for inclusion in the store. The free software, expected to be released on October 31 in a beta version, allows users to encode their music (enter album, song and artwork information) and send the files directly to Apple. Billboard also says that Apple has brokered an arrangement with Google in which the search engine is offering a reduced advertising rate to labels that promote iTunes. And, as previously reported, Apple has posted the iTunes Link Maker, which allows Web site operators to generate direct links to the iTunes store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    so i take it that this "producer" can be used to circumvent the need for a major record label in order to sell your music (one-offs or entire albums) through iTMS.

well, well. this should make RIAA poop themselves.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    The RIAA is not against invidual artists selling their product on iTunes or other music stores. They are against individual artists songs being given away for free on the internet. People don't seem to understand what the RIAA is. I would suggest that people actually go their website and find out what they're all about and how the RIAA protects the interest of artists, song writers and record labels.

Quote:

The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) is the trade group that represents the U.S. recording industry. Its mission is to foster a business and legal climate that supports and promotes our members' creative and financial vitality. Its members are the record companies that comprise the most vibrant national music industry in the world. RIAA members create, manufacture and/or distribute approximately 90% of all legitimate sound recordings produced and sold in the United States.

In support of this mission, the RIAA works to protect intellectual property rights worldwide and the First Amendment rights of artists; conduct consumer industry and technical research; and monitor and review - - state and federal laws, regulations and policies. The RIAA also certifies Gold®, Platinum®, Multi-Platinum?, and Diamond® sales awards, and recently launched Los Premios De Oro y Platino?, a new award celebrating Latin music sales.

Go their site:

www.riaa.com
  • Reply 3 of 10
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

I would suggest that people actually go their website and find out what they're all about and how the RIAA protects the interest of artists, song writers and record labels.

you're right. that was a pretty knee-jerk reaction on my part. i respect their intent, even if i disagree with their practices in order to enforce that intent. and this new "producer" that apple is developing should help ease those bruised sentiments between the RIAA and the general public, while helping enforce and protect musicians' rights.

though i am still amused by this shirt (available at macshirt.com):

• Reply 4 of 10
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

The RIAA is not against invidual artists selling their product on iTunes or other music stores. They are against individual artists songs being given away for free on the internet. People don't seem to understand what the RIAA is. I would suggest that people actually go their website and find out what they're all about and how the RIAA protects the interest of artists, song writers and record labels.

Speaking as an artist, RIAA protects the interests of the major record labels, full stop. ASCAP and BMI protect songwriters and (to a lesser extent) artists.

RIAA is against the unauthorized distribution of the big five record labels' intellectual property. If they had any concern whatsoever for the artists, or for music beyond its role as saleable intellectual property, the contracts their 5 members offer would look a lot different.

That said, labels big and small do offer the same valuable services that other publishers in other media offer, namely the ability to underwrite good production quality, offer editorial discretion, and handle publicity and distribution. The iTunes software is designed for them, so that Apple doesn't have to do all the work of ripping and authoring content for the Music Store themselves: Instead, it gets folded into the labels' responsibility to edit and promote and distribute their catalog. It's not something that will undermine or moot record labels, certainly not by design. iTMS did not get where it is by taking an adversarial stance. Instead, the main idea is to take a huge burden off of Apple and put it where it more properly belongs.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

Go their site:

www.riaa.com

Welcome back from the island, Wilson. Translation: get real.

The RIAA's sole aim is to preserve the old distribution method and the profits therein in the guise of defending the rights and incomes of artists, which tends to be a marginally slim wedge of what the recording industry makes per CD.

Copying their official blurb is incredibly naive.

Screed
  • Reply 6 of 10
    screed:

As a former record producer and a person interested in my work not being stolen and my not getting paid for it, the RIAA is doing the best it can. If you have another idea then tell us about it. Until then stop supporting the idea that intellectual property means nothing and that people and organizations that want to protect those rights should not have that right to do so. You're naive, not me.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

If you have another idea then tell us about it.

No need. Apple has the right idea, and they're putting it into action.

Quote:

Until then stop supporting the idea that intellectual property means nothing and that people and organizations that want to protect those rights should not have that right to do so. You're naive, not me.

1) "Intellectual property" laws exist to enrich the public domain.

2) The ends do not justify the means.

I oppose the RIAA precisely from the point of view of defending artists and defending copyright law. RIAA is just KaZaA inverted, with much more money and a lot more lawyers.

They're out to preserve the Big 5's monopoly on promotion and distribution, period.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by rok

so i take it that this "producer" can be used to circumvent the need for a major record label in order to sell your music (one-offs or entire albums) through iTMS.

It can't be this easy. IIRC, Steve made a BIG deal during the iTunes for Windoze introduction about how Apple has only "quality" tracks because of some "editing" process. Steve isn't going to let every Joe Schmoe who's got a track post it for sale on the iTMS. At least, I don't think so....

I would think that you would still have to go through some sort of intermediary, such as an indie record label. Who knows, though. Times, they are a changing, and as yesterday's release of G4 iBooks proves, I'm very poor at reading Steve's mind.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

screed:

Until then stop supporting the idea that intellectual property means nothing...

Funny, I don't recall typing anything of the sort. Artists should have control of their property; they should get paid for their property.

...unfortunately the artists do not own their property and only get a minor fraction of the money consumers pay to "get access" to it.

If you sing "Happy Birthday to You" at a public event you owe somebody royalties because somebody owns the blasted thing.

" The Congress shall have Power... To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries..."

--US Constitution Article 1, Section 8 Item 8

Screed
  • Reply 10 of 10
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Only record labels can use iTunes Producer; we'll never see it.