"Current" G4 PowerMac revival?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I was just browsing the Apple website when I noticed that the G4 PowerMac is still a great machine even with the G5 now available.

Apple is still selling the G4 towers (while supplies last) ... but they are still pretty expensive compared to similarly equipped PeeCees.

Am I the only one who thinks there's room in the Apple lineup for an AFFORDABLE G4 tower? I'd gladly buy a 1.25GHz Single or Dual G4 tower (256MB DDR SDRAM, 80GB HD, 64MB graphics card, Panther pre-installed) if Apple would throw in a "free" LCD or CRT display all for $1,499.

My last three Macs have all had limited upgradability (iMac, PowerBook, eMac). I would love to have a tower so I can add a new internal drive, upgrade the graphics card, etc. That said, I can't see paying $1,500 for a standard G4 tower (WITHOUT monitor and WITHOUT Panther).

Come on, am I alone in thinking this is a good idea for the current lineup of G4 PowerMacs? Apple just lowered the price and added Panther to the current line of eMacs without updating the hardware ... why can't that work with the PowerMacs?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rustedborg

Am I the only one who thinks there's room in the Apple lineup for an AFFORDABLE G4 tower? I'd gladly buy a 1.25GHz Single or Dual G4 tower (256MB DDR SDRAM, 80GB HD, 64MB graphics card, Panther pre-installed) if Apple would throw in a "free" LCD or CRT display all for $1,499.

Uhm, a single 1.25GHz is $1,299 - buy a $200 monitor yourself.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    The G4 is great machine and a much better deal than the single processor G5's. I would much rather have a G4 with a fast bus than a G5. Just my two cents.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Uhm, a single 1.25GHz is $1,299 - buy a $200 monitor yourself.

Good point ... I should have made my estimate $100-$200 cheaper!

As far as the monitor is concerned, it should be an option that doesn't cost as much as it does now. Sure, the 17-inch Apple LCD display is nice ... but I've never noticed the difference in performance/durability between that monitor ($599) and a cheap-o 17-inch LCD monitor that costs $225 at Office Depot (on sale in some stores for less than $200).

Apple should keep the current G4 PowerMac alive the same way they did yesterday with the eMac. They should lower the price and add Panther ... then offer the 17-inch display for $199-$299 extra.

I can imagine a ton of people buying the G4 PowerMac if they could get it with Panther for $1,099 (with the option to add monitor for a grand total of $1,299-$1,399).

That way Apple can drop the eMac when the new iMac comes out early next year and lower the price of the iMac down to eMac levels ... where it should be.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    Quote:

... but I've never noticed the difference in performance/durability between that monitor ($599) and a cheap-o 17-inch LCD monitor that costs $225 at Office Depot (on sale in some stores for less than $200).

The $225 monitor is probably analog.

Quote:

They should lower the price and add Panther

Panther is included (as of tomorrow).
  • Reply 5 of 17
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Good point ... I should have made my estimate $100-$200 cheaper!

As far as the monitor is concerned, it should be an option that doesn't cost as much as it does now. Sure, the 17-inch Apple LCD display is nice ... but I've never noticed the difference in performance/durability between that monitor ($599) and a cheap-o 17-inch LCD monitor that costs $225 at Office Depot (on sale in some stores for less than $200).

If you can't tell the difference, go ahead and buy the cheap-o monitor. You are getting what you pay for, but if you don't mind, no harm done.

Then pick up your 1.25GHz PowerMac for $1299, and you have what you wanted.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

The $225 monitor is probably analog.

Panther is included (as of tomorrow).

You may be right about the $199 17-inch flat panel I saw. I didn't look close at the specs. Still, you can get some very nice 17-inch LCD flat panel displays for less than $500.

Where did you read that Apple will start shipping all Macs with Panther after tomorrow? Apple has updated the iBook and eMac pages indicating they will ship with Panther, but the iMac, PowerBook and PowerMac pages all still list Jaguar.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    paispais Posts: 34member
    Quote:

Where did you read that Apple will start shipping all Macs with Panther after tomorrow? Apple has updated the iBook and eMac pages indicating they will ship with Panther, but the iMac, PowerBook and PowerMac pages all still list Jaguar.

For what it's worth, just about any new Mac is eligible for the up-to-date program, although that's not exactly the same thing.

A friend of mine just bought a PowerMac G4 (1.25 GHz) as his first Mac. I'd say it's a fair value for the price, but it could be better -- and Apple needs to ship more RAM with those things. 256 MB is a joke, but at least DIMMs are cheap.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    bill mbill m Posts: 324member
    As I commented before, I recently purchased a new Dual 1.25 G4 from Apple. It sure beat the 1.6 G5 in both price and performance during my informal real world tests. I wouldn't be too surprised if it would also be at least as good as the 1.8 G5. On the other hand, the Dual G5 is simply amazing, but that goes on another thread.

I received Panther last night, yet I haven't installed it on my new G4. Perhaps Panther will make the 1.6 G5 perform a little better than the the dual 1.25 G4... I won't know until monday. But, again, a new MDD 1.25 x 2 G4 is indeed a sweet machine right now, with an excellent price/performance ratio.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    The G4 tower shouldnt cost a dime more than $999. If Jobs had a business sense he would lower the price and watch market share increase. ........................................
  • Reply 10 of 17
    big macbig mac Posts: 480member
    Quote:

Originally posted by anand

The G4 is great machine and a much better deal than the single processor G5's. I would much rather have a G4 with a fast bus than a G5. Just my two cents.

The G5 is priced at a premium right now because it is entirely new technology. Rev B will bring the price down by $200 or increase the performance by an equivalent amount. The G5 is far superior to the G4, but that doesn't mean Apple should kill the G4 tower of completely. It should definitely be kept around as a BTO option for awhile longer.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

Please! Macs always ships with the latest OS. Apple aren't producing Macs with Jaguar anymore.

This is not PC land.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Please! Macs always ships with the latest OS. Apple aren't producing Macs with Jaguar anymore.

This is not PC land.

Well, I want to believe you, but if you go to the Apple Store website you'll find that the iMac, PowerMac, and PowerBook are all listed as shipping with Jaguar ... not Panther.

I hope this is just a mistake ... maybe they haven't updated the website yet. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if Apple doesn't want to open up all those computers, install Panther, and then repackage them all.

Maybe Apple's business practices are starting to mimic PC land.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    At the Apple store (I feel like Phil Resutto pitching "the money store" in the 70's ) Westfarms, there were only giving free Panther upgrades with the purchase of a G5 system. All other systems required that you pay the $19.95 fee through the up to date program.

That meant that last Friday, during the official release of Panther, you wouldn't get Panther with the purchase of a G4 system. You also had to mail in for the upgrade, they didn't have up to date discs for you.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Quote:

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if Apple doesn't want to open up all those computers, install Panther, and then repackage them all.

No they won't - that's why they have the Up-To-Date program where customers who just bought a machine produced before Panther was ready will get Panther.

All Macs produced after Oct. 24 will have Panther installed! Period!
  • Reply 15 of 17
    bozobozo Posts: 2member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

No they won't - that's why they have the Up-To-Date program where customers who just bought a machine produced before Panther was ready will get Panther.

All Macs produced after Oct. 24 will have Panther installed! Period!

I ordered 12" PowerBook that shipped on 10/21. It came with Panther. No Panther install CDs though so I ordered the up-to-date CD.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    What, the software restore disc had 10.2 on it??

-- Mark
  • Reply 17 of 17
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    A friend bought a LCD iMac just after Jaguar released.

It shipped with 10.2 upgrade CD's but the restore discs had 10.1.