Which router to get.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi,

I've recently signed up to ADSL here in the UK, and its great, apart from the crappy USB speedtouch modem. This powerbook only crashed twice in its first three months, and then 5 times in the past two days with the modem attached! So, I need an ethernet broadband router. Any ideas of where I can go in London to buy a decent one in person. I'm looking to spend £100 at the absolute most, preferrably about £70.

Thanks,

David

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by iMacfan

Hi,

I've recently signed up to ADSL here in the UK, and its great, apart from the crappy USB speedtouch modem. This powerbook only crashed twice in its first three months, and then 5 times in the past two days with the modem attached! So, I need an ethernet broadband router. Any ideas of where I can go in London to buy a decent one in person. I'm looking to spend £100 at the absolute most, preferrably about £70.

Thanks,

David

I like my D-Link 802.11b router... Much better value than the Apple base stations (and it doesn't crash either).
  • Reply 2 of 12
    I use a Linksys BEFW11S4. It happily connects my PowerBook via 802.11b, and shares the connection with my girlfriend's PC (ethernet) and our upstairs neighbor's iBook (802.11b again). You should be able to pick one up for under GBP 60. The 802.11g routers are a little more, but only really make sense if you want to run a couple of machines on a network.

It took about two minutes to set up and configure, and I haven't had to do anything to it since setting it up a year ago...even after the 24 hour blackout, once the power came back on the router started doing its thing again...
  • Reply 3 of 12
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    Thanks, but I'm looking for a combined ADSL modem and router, and so I doubt that I'll be either able to afford or need a wireless one.

David
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Purchasing advice goes in General Discussion.

Moving...
  • Reply 5 of 12
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iMacfan

need a wireless one.

As soon as you try one, you're hooked, especially since you have a powerbook. Maybe you should consider it. The Linksys (which I have) has four ethernet ports, so you won't immediately have to spring for the airport card. And of course with the recent breakthrough of wireless, you're bound to find a wireless router for cheap, and you'll probably find an ethernet modem for cheap too. Otherwise, I cannot recommend you anything (I believe I have an Alcatel ethernet ADSL modem, but since I'm wireless, it's been months since I actually saw the darned device).
  • Reply 6 of 12
    I use a Netgear router myself. I believe they do a wireless one, but I only have the standard 4-port one. May be worth looking into. It even got highly rated by some mac magazines, as I remember...
  • Reply 7 of 12
    uymanuyman Posts: 36member
    I just got a netgear wireless wifiB router. Works flawlessly. Set up was a breeze. Print sharing, file sharing everything is really easy to use.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Won't your ISP provide the ADSL modem?

As for routers, I have a pair of D-Link DI-614+'s, at home and work. I'd highly recommend them: four ethernet LAN ports plus excellent wireless range, and very full-featured and easy to use admin software built-in. Port forwarding, firewalling, plays nice with repeaters, all that good stuff. And forget 100 pounds - these puppies are on Amazon.com for $45 after rebate ($65 before).
  • Reply 9 of 12
    uhh dude I think you're screwed USB modem tell them you want an ethernet one cuz you're USB ports are close... then it'll be much less expensive. Just 79$ (american... translate that into your money I have no clue) I don't know of many routers with combined modems in them as the modems usually have proprietary stuff in them at times and others are just wierd. Not only that but you're probably paying a monthly fee to use their modem. Some ISP's do that into your billing where you don't notice. Look into it maybe?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    resres Posts: 711member
    It is usually better to go with a separate modem and router. The modem is usually supplied by the isp.

As for routers, I really like the SMC Barricade series of broadband routers.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    Thanks for the help - any idea where I can get that dlink wireless router/adsl modem for those prices here in the UK? Actually, unless you subscribe to a very expensive service, or pay the full cost, UK providers give you this crappy alcatel/Thompson USB speedtouch modem.

Eh, what can you do?

David
  • Reply 12 of 12
    D Link Airplus 2.4GHz Wireless Cable/DSL Router With 4-Port Switch at Amazon UK - unfortunately it's not as cheap as in America - £81... Alternatively the Linksys EtherFast Wireless Cable/DSL Router BEFW11S4 is priced at £56.99. A mid-point would be the Netgear 802.11b 11Mbps Wireless Cable/DSL Broadband Router at £72.49.