G5 fans

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I purchased a dual G5 2Ghz 4 days ago. This morning I booted up and went into the kitchen to make coffee....returned to the computer one minute later to find the cooling fans running full blast sounding like a 747 and the floor covered in loose papers blown off the desk (!), and the mouse was frozen and I had to pull the plug to restart the computer. A call to Apple tech support was not very enlightening....anyone else had this problem.....or suggestions or fixes?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    huh, maybe power went off or something. One time I ran a hardware test and mine did the same thing Maybe your Energy Preferences are messed up try changing them or somethen? Gee sorry I have not the slightest clue really.

any takers?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Obviously there's no way to know what caused the crash, but the fan thing makes sense. They're software controlled so when the software crashes they default to full blast. This is obviously safer, because if something goes wrong your machine won't overheat.

The only alternative I can think of is sending me the machine so I can do a few months of testing on it.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

The only alternative I can think of is sending me the machine so I can do a few months of testing on it.

Good stuff.

The fans going full blast were because of your computer freezing for one reason or another. Don't know what else to tell you. But at least your G5s were nice and cold!