Is G4 iBook's screen better then G3 iBooks?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
To anybody out there who has had last gen iBook and the new G4; has the screen quality improved at all? Contrast and definiton wise. Also, has the screen hinge improved at all?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    in looking through stuff ... it appears the screen on the new ibooks is the identical part to the old one. what's wrong with it ???
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Do you have your display settings correct?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    sigh.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Reset your PRAM and make sure it's plugged in.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    AlPanther is asking if it's been improved. He's not saying his needs fixing or is miscalibrated. (Maybe it does but that's not what he said).

He's asking if it's been improved or if it's the same. Simple. (We assume it won't be lesser quality.)

p.s. LOL Clayton
  • Reply 6 of 12
    There's nothing wrong with the last iBook screen, I was just intrested to see if the new iBook had an improved display.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    I've got a 600 ibook and a G4 800 ibook, when I first saw the comparison, I really thought the 800 was a bit brighter. Just now I did the calibration settings, and they are set the exact same. I still think the new 800 Ibook is both brighter, and the whites are whiter (this is turning into a clorox commerical). This is while looking side by side at the same program, while looking at the screens at the same angles.

I also noticed a big differerence in sound. The new g4 seems to be considerably louder, which is great. I always thought the older 600, I would have to put it on the highest volume to get acceptable amount of sound out of them.

Battery life on the new ibook is OUTSTANDING. I was trying to get the battery empty last night to recalibrate, and it took forever, just because the battery life was long. Right now I'm getting four to five hours with normal use and at screen 3/4 bright.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    The lamps in LCDs slowly get dimmer and dimmer over the years, so it's not surprising if a new iBook looks brighter than one that is any significant amount older, say 6 months-1 year.

In a year the new iBooks will look dimmer than the then-new iBooks and so on...

And they also get brighter per session after turning on the Mac or waking from sleep. They slowly fade up to the nominal brightness, over a few minutes. So if testing, make sure they come on at the same time.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    I read that the ibook G3 screen is notably worse (regarding brightness) compared to most pc-notebooks who have a brightness of about 130-150 cd/m2 whereas the ibook has just above 100 cd/m2, e.g. it is unreadable outside in the sun. Is this true?
  • Reply 10 of 12
    It is nearly totally useless in daylight, although not impossible to use.

Through a scanner darkly.

I've yet to see any PC that was usable in daylight.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    moliumoliu Posts: 42member
    I did notice that iBook's brightness is a little less than PC notebooks. However I've gotten use to that. It's actually been a little better on my eyes, and I surely wouldn't mind the extra battery life that I get from having a dimmer screen since it's probably the most battery-draining part of the notebook. My previous thinkpad only had 2 hours of juice in it where as I'm still getting 4+ hours from my 1 year old ibook!!!
  • Reply 12 of 12
    yes, but it would be great if you could increase the brightness if you really want to work outside in a street café or in the garden.