15 PB Speedwise: +512MB RAM OR 5400RPM HD???

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Since I have the opportunity to replace my faulty notebook, I thought I'd ask:

All other things being equal, what would make my 1.25GHz 15 PB run faster? An extra 512MB of RAM or a 5400RPM HD? I would be using it to simultaneously have open iTunes, a few windows in IE, MS Word, Preview , Konfabulator and Quicktime and be actively using a couple of them at any one time.

Is there an obvious answer? Some Techie explain it to me please?

</off subject> Godammit. Neone else get key flex underneath their "k" and "i" keys?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    More RAM. OSX loves RAM. The more you have, the more stuff gets cached, and the faster the whole system feels. Especially when using many apps. A faster (RPM) hard drive will have a less universal speeding effect (best for large files, I suppose), and will negatively impact heat and battery life.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    You don't deserve a 15" powerbook if you are going to use IE on it.

That said, for your tasks, I'd say the ram is more important. Unfortunately, having to decide between the two is a tough decision. You'll definitely need the ram, but if you want to get a 5400rpm drive, you should get it when you order it. But I'd still get the RAM.

And trash IE with all due haste. Seriously.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by penseive

You don't deserve a 15" powerbook if you are going to use IE on it.

Piss off!

I only use IE cos I am on a University network and it is more easily compatible with everything. I don't see Safari as being anything amazing anyway. Though I will expaeriment with it further when I get the chance.

Thanks for your responses.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    markivmarkiv Posts: 180member
    Go for a RAM upgrade, that would make OS X feel much lighter. As for hard drives upgrade why settle for 5400 rpm when you can go for 7200 rpm. Just my 2 cents.