BIG iTMS news for Pearl Jam fans.

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I just read this over on another board. I'm waiting for a link to verify. If it's true, it's huger than huge for iTMS and PJ.

Quote:

In other news, Pearl Jam has pacted with Apple's iTunes Music Store to offer paid downloads directly from its official Web site. The initiative was fostered by Apple's new software iTunes Link Maker, which allows site operators to generate direct links to the iTunes store.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by penseive

Thoughts?

Now people browsing directly on a band's site can give Apple a few cents. Now bands not willing or able to go through the trouble of setting up a secure site can rely on Apple to do the leg work.

Watch out eBay, here comes Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Well, count at least part of that quote confirmed.

http://pearljam.com/downloads/dl_1.html

Notice the "buy song"? Guess where it takes you?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Confirmed I love Pearl Jam.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Well, Pearl Jam just dropped their label in favor of handling distibution themselves. Could they be moving to an all download format, could this be the future of music for the rest of the industry.

Pearl Jam is cool.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Big news for PJ, big news for iTMS (as other artists can start to do this)!

...still don't like the majority of PJ songs though But glad you all do, or am I
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

Well, Pearl Jam just dropped their label in favor of handling distibution themselves. Could they be moving to an all download format, could this be the future of music for the rest of the industry.

Interesting...if Pearl Jam are not going through a label, who gets the labels piece of the $0.99? Or are they going to charge less for Pearl Jam songs?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    tak1108tak1108 Posts: 222member
    I think that PJ will have a lable, it will just be owned by PJ.

Brian Vander Ark does this. He has his own Lable. www.bvamusic.com

BVA from the Verve Pipe.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    What's important is that they are not going through a major (unless Pearl Jam's label is distributed by a major, in which case being on their own label is meaningless). I'm no Pearl Jam fan, but they have a huge fan base and I admire thier drive to take the DIY esthetic to a wider audience...It'll be interesting to see if they keep the money that would otherwise be taken by a major or if they discount the music a la Dischord.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    whoops--
  • Reply 10 of 12
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    wow, that is awesome, but i remember mentioning this possibility several months ago when i heard the first rumors about it.

I saw them last night at the Bridge School Benefit........awesome as ever. Masters of War when done by vedder and mccready just scares the crap out of me.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

wow, that is awesome, but i remember mentioning this possibility several months ago when i heard the first rumors about it.

I saw them last night at the Bridge School Benefit........awesome as ever. Masters of War when done by vedder and mccready just scares the crap out of me.

I haven't heard that song in a while. You lucky bastard. You got to see PJ and avoid watching the Yanks go down in one night.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pensieve

I haven't heard that song in a while. You lucky bastard. You got to see PJ and avoid watching the Yanks go down in one night.

yep.....life is good.....only played one song the same both nights of bridge school.....and played with neil tonight....not too shabby