Concordes' last day.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Such a beautiful plane, such ugly economics. It'll be really odd not see her in our skies, people still stop and stare as she passes over, magic. What feats those French and British design teams and engineers accomplished. This is the first time i can think of avaiation taking a technological backwards step, today to cross the atlantic 3.5 hours, tomorrow and evermore, 8. Sniff. Vive La Concorde!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Vanity Fair had an article on the last days of the SST. They say that had they been able to do a New York to LA run they could have made aton of money. But for some reason SS flight is not allowed over the US.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    You're right Scott in that it was the restrictions on routes and airports imposed by aviation authorities that doomed the economics from the outset. They couldn't fly to Japan and that could have been a cash cow I think. Anyway she lands from JFK for the last time in about two hours. I feel a smilie coming on.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    My little Homage.

I will always remember standing at Heathrow on a grey winter's day..watching this long thin bird rolling down the runway with a thunderous roar as the engines picked up speed.

The flame of orange contrasted so brilliantly against that heavy leaden sky...and apart from the noise that rattled the windows..the thing I remember most clearly of all..was how every single head in that airport turned to watch that graceful creature take off.

Thankyou Concorde....You showed us what we could achieve if we put our differences aside...
  • Reply 4 of 16
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquafire

Thankyou Concorde....You showed us what we could achieve if we put our differences aside...

Fellows
  • Reply 5 of 16
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Dry your tears guys it's just a plane.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Dry your tears guys it's just a plane.

Yes but it was the plane.

For the first time in plane history, a plane is not replace by a better one. There won't be any supersonic plane for at least a whole decade.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

But for some reason SS flight is not allowed over the US.

I thought SS flight wasn't allowed over any land? As I recall, the sonic booms can actually cause quite a bit of damage on the ground. Am I right? Doesn't the Concorde wait until it's over the ocean to go into supersonic flight?
  • Reply 8 of 16
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

As I recall, the sonic booms can actually cause quite a bit of damage on the ground. Am I right?

More like confusion and an occasional barking dog. Might depend on how high the plane is though. We once had a fighter jet go supersonic right above our lovely burgh by mistake, and there were plenty of funny stories to be heard afterwards. We, for instance, took the bang to be coming from below us (I live in a multilevel terraced house). Thinking someone might have forcibly entered our home, we went downstairs armed with kitchen knifes to check out the situation. Nobody got hurt.

I'm thinking: leaving from New York, the Concorde could always have made a little excursion across the Atlantic to go sonic and then return to fly to LA, and vice versa.

It was a fine bird though. I would have liked to fly it one day.

• Reply 9 of 16
    The Concorde was nice, but we're not really going a step backward. When the concorde was designed, air travel was still mainly a high-class enterprise. Now it's not. The concorde is something of an aristocratic relic.

While the past 30 years have seen little in the aerodynamic development of airliners, I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that most design teams are so terrified to do something vastly different and new, because safety is more important than performance in this case. But we'll see. MDD was working on some interesting projects before the Boeing merger.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Personally I think the reason to scrap concorde is more to do with WMD than the economics. I could see the US very scared of a WMD of concordes size hitting the whitehouse at Mach 2.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by MarcUK

Personally I think the reason to scrap concorde is more to do with WMD than the economics. I could see the US very scared of a WMD of concordes size hitting the whitehouse at Mach 2.

Puh-Leeze..lets not bring WOMD into this..

As far as I recall, the only Concorde crash was brought about by a scrap of metal left on the runway and kicked up by the Concorde's wheels & into its thinly protected fuel tanks...

It is all to do with costs...pure and simple...
  • Reply 12 of 16
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Ever sit inside a Concorde? I'll take the 1st class cabin of any of the jumbos any day.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by MarcUK

disagree. A concorde travels about twice as fast. maybe 3 times as fast, we'll say. I bet a 747 is 3 time more massive.

ergo equal momentum.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

disagree. A concorde travels about twice as fast. maybe 3 times as fast, we'll say. I bet a 747 is 3 time more massive.

ergo equal momentum.

I'm skeptical of the WMD theory, as well, but would momentum really be the key issue in a collision or energy? Momentum is a product of mass and velocity while energy is a product of mass and velocity^2 (1/2 mv^2, to be specific).
  • Reply 15 of 16
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Ever sit inside a Concorde? I'll take the 1st class cabin of any of the jumbos any day.

My father took the concorde one time, because Concorde was the only solution for him to be in time for a trial a man make against his company.

Normally my father used to take first class cabin in boeing, and he travelled a lot all around the world. i can say he knowed much about airports and planes.

The travel in the concorde from Paris to New York was nice. First the passengers of concorde where recieved in a special guest room in the airport with Champagne and other goodies for free.

Then they took the plane, and they recieved upon request a certificate of supersonic travel. The food was excellent also : foie gras ... good wines.

The seat where not huge, but the travel was nice and short. Travelling at mach 2,2 at 60 000 feet was a great experience for him.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Powerdoc

"My father took the concorde one time,.....Travelling at mach 2,2 at 60 000 feet was a great experience for him. "

What a Buzz.......

I have harboured several avionic dreams.

To fly in ~

1: Sopwith Camel ( WW-1 era )

2: P-51 Mustang

3: Concorde

4: X-15

5: Zeppelin

I've only gone gliding & done lotsa commercial flights but those would be my ultimate trips....