Bus and RAM speed: iBook vs. Powerbook

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Okay, so hit me with some comments on the speed differences between the iBook and PBook. I've been waiting on Panther's release to pick up a 12inch powerbook, but now that the new iBook have been released, I'm wondering which is the better buy.

I'm still leaning towards the powerbook, mainly because of its higher CPU speed, cache, and not having to use a hack for monitor spanning.

I notice the iBook Bus speed is 133, is the Powerbook (12in) 133? 166? 266? What about the RAM: Do both the iBook and powerbook use PC2100 RAM?

Thanks for your comments!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    You're welcome!
  • Reply 2 of 5
    The new ibooks and the 12in PB use the same PC2100 RAM, but the PB 15 and 17 use PC2700.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    ryyoryyo Posts: 19member
    Damn, so close in specs, and lower in price are the iBooks, but my heart still yearns for the refined beauty and feature-set of the more expensive Powerbook!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    paispais Posts: 34member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ryyo

Damn, so close in specs, and lower in price are the iBooks, but my heart still yearns for the refined beauty and feature-set of the more expensive Powerbook!

I've got a 12" PowerBook, and I can't live without monitor spanning. 1024x768 is a passable resolution on the go, but I need more real estate when I want to get things done.

I have yet to see the iBook G4 in person, and I'm guessing you haven't, either. My suggestion is to visit an Apple Store or other shop and compare the two in person -- pick 'em up, open/close them, and play around with them. Numbers are overrated.

The iBook G4s are tempting, but the aluminum casing is second to none.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Pais

I've got a 12" PowerBook, and I can't live without monitor spanning. 1024x768 is a passable resolution on the go, but I need more real estate when I want to get things done.

I have yet to see the iBook G4 in person, and I'm guessing you haven't, either. My suggestion is to visit an Apple Store or other shop and compare the two in person -- pick 'em up, open/close them, and play around with them. Numbers are overrated.

The iBook G4s are tempting, but the aluminum casing is second to none.

Get monitor spanning hack. Darn Apple should really let you do that without a hack... it seems like 1/2 the dorum stuff about iBook in MNN and AI is "monitor spanning hack work with G4s!" "how to monitor span?" "monitor spanning hack problem" "where do I get hack?" "I want higher res on external screen" etc. And the plastic case seems more durable, if less attractive.