Work Related "Issues"

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
i was just reading a very funny thread at another forum here. it's all about stupid things clients/bosses say.

so, the idea here is to post funny/stupid things your boss or whatever tells you. or interesting snafus people get into at work. i was thinking, since we get a lot of people doing a lot of jobs at this forum, this thread could have an eclectic mess of funny things, hopefully without getting too technical that people out of your field wouldn't understand.

here's something that happened a couple of weeks ago. a co-worker walks into the server room to do some kind of update on one of the many computers we have in there. on one of the screens he notices a message that says something like, "a virus was found in one of the incoming emails, and was not sent to the user." so he proceeds to unplug all the wires from that computer, thinking he had saved us from the ineffective virus.

mine's not exactly hilarious, but maybe you guys have some real gems.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I was setting up a press to emboss some annual reports, and had a new guy cut all of the stock for me - unfortunately, the dork cut it 2 inches too short. I calmly told him to go behind the cutter and get the paper stretcher.

Took him a half an hour to realize I was kidding.

• Reply 2 of 4
    mlnjrmlnjr Posts: 230member
    Most of my funny job stories are from my days as a writer and editor for Sabot Publishing, the company that publishes Vegetarian Times, Better Nutrition and other monthly magazines. I worked on VT and BN (mostly as an editor, but as a frequent writer too) and it constantly amused me to walk by the VT editor's office and see her chowing down on fried chicken for lunch at least a few times a month. It's because of her (specifically her changes to the magazine) that the magazine earned the nickname "Vegetarian Sometimes."
  • Reply 3 of 4
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    I have slaved a lot as a customer service "tech" guy for fixed and mobile phone companies during my high school and uni years. When people called about problems with their phones often part of detecting the problem is to unplug/turn it off. So often I asked them to do so not realizing they were talking to me from it. Never did one question my request...

But soon I made it a habit. For some strange reason people would call and say "my phone just doesn´t work" even if they called from the number they gave me. Instead of saying "Umm. aren´t you calling from it right now?" I just made the above request. you get much more work done that way.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    In teaching there is no shortage of material.

I'm a geenral music/calssroom music teacher. I was involved in planning for renovations when the subject the instrumental teacher's computers came up (they wern't at this meeting). I inquired as to whether they too would recieve new computers....as I was told I would. The principal said:

"Tell, me....what would an instrumental teacher need with a computer?"