Can you open window without sidebar appearing?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Okay, I don't have Panther, yet. But I had a chance to play with it for about 15 minutes or so. Yes, Expose is really cool.

However, when in the Finder, every window opened appears with the whole sidebar (hard drive, network etc.) listed on the left. I realize you can slide this closed, but is there an option that will make the sidebar "closed" as the default?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by satchmo

Okay, I don't have Panther, yet. But I had a chance to play with it for about 15 minutes or so. Yes, Expose is really cool.

However, when in the Finder, every window opened appears with the whole sidebar (hard drive, network etc.) listed on the left. I realize you can slide this closed, but is there an option that will make the sidebar "closed" as the default?

Yup. Open a new window and without selecting an icon, double click on the small dot in the sidebar separator. Then close the window. That sets the default configuration for that volume.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    whoa, i like the icon only mode for the left sidebar. i never liked the icons on the top bar from the previous versions but this is pretty cool.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    actually.. it looks like it's only saved on a per-folder basis. anyone find a way to have it globally?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Or you can click the clear oval button in the upper right corner of the window. You can then choose (in Finder preferences) to open new folders in a new window. It will be just like OS 9 again.