iSub and New iMac?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi

Just wondering, does anyone know if the iSub will work with the new iMac and it's Pro Speakers?

Thanks

-Ed

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    The iSub will work with any USB mac out now, including the new iMac.

This thread belongs in "Current Hardware."

-S
  • Reply 2 of 9
    evil edevil ed Posts: 106member
    [quote]Originally posted by SpiffyGuyC:

<strong>The iSub will work with any USB mac out now, including the new iMac.

This thread belongs in "Current Hardware."

-S</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'd like to believe you but I found the following on the Apple website with regards to the iSub's compatibility:

Note: Compatible with slot-loading iMacs with CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, and CD-RW drives running Mac OS 9.x. Also compatible with 466MHz, 533MHz, 667MHz, and 733MHz PowerMac G4 models with Apple Pro Speakers connected. Not compatible with the Power Mac G4 Cube.

It may not be up to date but it doesn't sound like any USB Mac will run it.

And yes, please move this to Current Hardware please, mods.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    I'm fairly sure things have changed since that post. In any rate, the new iMac should be safe because it shares the same audio technology as the G4 towers now that it outputs to the pro speakers.

-S
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Yes the iSub works with the new iMac. I read it on Apple's site last night.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Are we sure about this? That's great! I rmember for the longest time, the iSub ONLY worked with slot-loading iMacs. You had to buy the 3-piece SoundSticks set up for use with other stuff.

Is there now a newer version of the standalone iSub? Mine is about 18 months old, with a green light. I notice a buddy of mine who owns the Soundsticks has a blue light on his AND a little volume knob on the iSub!

Anyone?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    pscates,

Nope, no new iSub. I have one and prefer using it with a G4+Pro Speakers than my iMac DV--better separation. Anyway, I have SoundSticks, too, and the volume knob is for the subwoofer; there is no sub volume control in the sound control panel when using them. Yep, two different lights.

Oh, and congrats on your purchase!
  • Reply 7 of 9
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by scottiB:

<strong>pscates,

Nope, no new iSub. I have one and prefer using it with a G4+Pro Speakers than my iMac DV--better separation. Anyway, I have SoundSticks, too, and the volume knob is for the subwoofer; there is no sub volume control in the sound control panel when using them. Yep, two different lights.

Oh, and congrats on your purchase!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Which is better. iSub + Pro or iSub and Soundsticks?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    naderbynaderby Posts: 131member
    Well, 2 versus 8 mini Harmon Kardon speakers should tell a story!

I have the SoundSticks on my G4 450DP and I would recommend them. Now iTunes has an equiliser you the 'Sticks' will perform to everybody's taste.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    I prefer the SoundSticks to the ProSpeakers and iSub, but I that might be more my musical tastes and my use.

I listen to a lot of be-bop jazz (and I'm a drummer), so the better high-end of the 'sticks makes them more appropriate for that (ride cymbals really ping)--and they sound better in my low volume situation (thin office walls, etc.)

The iSub gives a louder bass--perhaps the amp sub with the 'sticks isn't as powerful as in the iSub and it's augmented by the G4's amp. Zeppelin sounds better with this set-up (Bonham's kick drum pounds).

I wouldn't power a house party with either (and they don't take the place of my stereo).

Here's a good macnn review-comparo:

<a href="http://reviews.macnn.com/reviews/prospeakers/prospeakers.phtml"; target="_blank">http://reviews.macnn.com/reviews/prospeakers/prospeakers.phtml</a>;