iMac not finding dialling tone...

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I've got a Rev B iMac, running OS X. I've lent it to a friend who is a novice user, but I can't get it connected to the internet at her house--all I get is a message saying there was no dialling tone. Now, there *is* a dialling tone, I know that much. I have also tested this set-up with my own modem cable from home, which I know works, and I get the same result. I have tried checking and unchecking every box in Network Preferences, PPP, &c, no luck.

Can anyone suggest anything I might try? A friend suggested buying an external modem, but it' a bit expensive if it doesn't work. And why would my internal modem suddenly have stopped working?

Something that *might* be relevant: the speakers stopped working at some point, too. The earphones still work if I plug them in, but no external sound...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

L.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Can you confirm that there is no Fax application running in the background?

Check in login items whether any application was activated.

I had this problem earlier.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Moving to Genius Bar.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    josephgjosephg Posts: 111member
    I had this problem with an iMac DV--maybe it's similar with the rev B's.

Turned out the modem was getting unseated whenever the computer was turned face down (e.g. to install memory). So you may want to physically check the modem and make sure it's secured in there tight. (I don't know how to do this myself--had to get the local repair shop to look at it).

Good luck!
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I had a similiar problem, it might be completely unrelated though. When i got a message bank service, the dial-tone changes if you have a message, enough of a change for the modem not to recognise it. just 'ignore dial-tone' in the prefs