A Big Decision...for me, anyway

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm not sure if you guys who are not musicians will understand, but it will be interesting to see what you think.

In 1994, I entered college as a music education major. I chose the school I did because of it's well-known marching band program. My mom also went there as was a music teacher for several years after she left the University.

I participated in the program for four years, working my way up to be the section leader of the trumpet section (when there are 34 trumpets that's an accomplishment). Unfortunately, I was not selected to be the student director of the group the next year...the person chosen, with all modesty, was no where near as qualified. But she was a good ass-kisser. To add insult to injury, something happened with my audition process for the section leader job the next year...and I didn't get that either. I was really upset and the director knew it. I went to school FOR that program and I wasn't going to return for my fifth year under those circumstances. Long story short, I graduated, took a job and started my "real life". But, I've never really gotten over it.

So 6 years after leaving the program I am now teaching music (though not band) and going back to this same university for grad school (performance). After A LOT of thought, I have decided to return to the marching band program. I miss it terribly and I don't feel as if I ever "finished" what I was supposed to.

This is a huge thing because of the way I left (I believe my words to the director...who is still there, were "I'm DONE with marching band here"). It's also a huge time commitment and my life is on hell of a lot different. I'm going to be marching with 18-21 year olds and running from work to rehearsal. Did I mention we also have a daughter? I have my wife's support (which I cannot believe in this case...though we met in band and I guess she understands), and I'm sitting down with the director on Monday to discuss the issue. For all I know, he could tell me I'm crazy....but I doubt it. We've had a good relationship since the "incidents" and he's also my grad advisor.

It will bring tremendous pride to once again be part of this program which is probably the most innovative and cutting edge this side of the Mississippi (seriously). But as I said...things are different.

[ducks]

Thoughts?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Do it man. I'm finishing up my MBA this June but ever since I graduated I have felt wrong. I finally realized what it was not too long ago. I had a dream deferred. While I'm finishing up my MBA I'm going to community college and brushing up on my calculus and physics so I can go to a UC next year and follow my original dream I have had since I was a kid...a career in astrophysics.
  • Reply 2 of 19
    markivmarkiv Posts: 180member
    Go ahead and pursue your dream, maybe I would too some day write a book.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I'm going to be a bit of an ass here (it comes so naturally) but here goes. You're doing an MA in "band"?

Yeah, sometimes you can't help what you love, but band?

Theres a reason why marching bands are confined (pretty much) to schools and war marches. Isn't it a bit of a musical low rent TPT endeavor?

I don't think you need to put up with their shiat just to be in "band"

Fvck 'em. The trumpet is a proud instrument. Get your MA, make more money teaching, write your own music, do your own thing.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

I'm going to be a bit of an ass here (it comes so naturally) but here goes. You're doing an MA in "band"?

It's all about the summer camps.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    Weird double post?

Nick
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

I'm not sure if you guys who are not musicians will understand, but it will be interesting to see what you think.

In 1994, I entered college as a music education major. I chose the school I did because of it's well-known marching band program. My mom also went there as was a music teacher for several years after she left the University.

I participated in the program for four years, working my way up to be the section leader of the trumpet section (when there are 34 trumpets that's an accomplishment). Unfortunately, I was not selected to be the student director of the group the next year...the person chosen, with all modesty, was no where near as qualified. But she was a good ass-kisser. To add insult to injury, something happened with my audition process for the section leader job the next year...and I didn't get that either. I was really upset and the director knew it. I went to school FOR that program and I wasn't going to return for my fifth year under those circumstances. Long story short, I graduated, took a job and started my "real life". But, I've never really gotten over it.

So 6 years after leaving the program I am now teaching music (though not band) and going back to this same university for grad school (performance). After A LOT of thought, I have decided to return to the marching band program. I miss it terribly and I don't feel as if I ever "finished" what I was supposed to.

This is a huge thing because of the way I left (I believe my words to the director...who is still there, were "I'm DONE with marching band here"). It's also a huge time commitment and my life is on hell of a lot different. I'm going to be marching with 18-21 year olds and running from work to rehearsal. Did I mention we also have a daughter? I have my wife's support (which I cannot believe in this case...though we met in band and I guess she understands), and I'm sitting down with the director on Monday to discuss the issue. For all I know, he could tell me I'm crazy....but I doubt it. We've had a good relationship since the "incidents" and he's also my grad advisor.

It will bring tremendous pride to once again be part of this program which is probably the most innovative and cutting edge this side of the Mississippi (seriously). But as I said...things are different.

[ducks]

Thoughts?

Hmmmm... as you said this is a tough one.

SDW, I think I am going to be the spoiler here and although things could be different about bands and trumpet players on the East coast, some how I doubt it.

So first let me start with a joke.

How many trumpet players does it take to screw in a light bulb? 34, one to do it and 33 to stand around and say they could do it better.

What does the joke prove? That if you have any lingering feelings about proving something to OTHERS, then just drop it. Especially with trumpet players. We are the most arrogant, pain in the a$$es that exist. Even when you were section leader before probably half the trumpet players there probably thought you were the kiss ass and that they could wipe the floor with you playing-wise. It is the nature of the instrument. If you didn't have that attitude you would go play french horn or tuba and get more gigs g-d dammit!

(Trumpets are like the lead guitar players of of a rock band for those outside the field wondering what the heck I am talking about. In reality the world needs more bass players that just pound out the line, smile too much and don't give a damn. However if you have the trumpet player attitude, you know you just couldn't be satisfied with such a role.)

As you said you moved on with your life. Even if you went after the same jobs now the "kids" would just be like "Dude, he's almost fvcking 30, that's why he got the job." I doubt they would have an iota more respect for you and even if you got it, it would feel like a hollow victory because you just are at a different place now. You are not competing against the same people and you are not the same person. What the hell are you going to talk about at pizza after the gigs? You'll be like, well my 401k is going into this type of mutual fund. They'll be like "Dude, Ron tossed in the dorms last night when we were playing quarters with tequila."

Likewise the kissing ass and hanging around to suck up is obviously part of the job description. If you didn't know that then, and aren't willing to do that now, then what is really the point? Obviously part of the job description is to have no life, go drink beer and listen to the decision makers talk about who they schmooze with and who is a hack while nodding your head in agreement.

I mean it is the nature of music. Is there really a way to usually show who is objectively better 99% of the time? No, so who do they go with? Well they go with who they know, or who they spent 2 hours drinking beer with Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday,.....

I can relate to this decision on several levels. However my own rule is do what you can when you can. Realize whatever success you have within that realm and then move on to new areas.

Why do I have to keep this rule? Because I absolutely SUCK at kissing a$$. I just can't. So sometimes it leads to limited success as a result. So I accept it and move on to the next challenge because if the person that "won" (as if real life were often so clean cut)had kissed some booty to get it, then I would never have gotten it because that just isn't in my nature.

Real life example for me is I have only been asked one time to be grade level leader in about going on 11 years of teaching. My test score gains with kids are insane. I'm talking I have large numbers of kids going from the 20th to 80th percentile on norm referenced tests.

However being grade level leader, while it should be about being the best teacher and leading others in effective teaching, is usually about cleaning up messes, taking crap, helping the administrator with their little pet projects, etc.

In otherwords it isn't about teaching so I don't feel one iota bad about not getting it. If it were and I wasn't selected, I might feel bad, but it is about who wants to assist with PTA fund raisers, not about who wants to insure effective teaching. (Because this effective teacher thinks fund raising should get the hell out of my classroom.)

You keep your definition of success and let the jobs and opportunities come to meet it. Don't reverse the course because it won't feel satisfying.

Nick
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Do it SDW!

Only you will know what you enjoy and all the negative feedback from others is really not material. It is cool that you came to us here at AI to ask us our opinions.. Remember however only you know your heart.

Ole Fellows was in band and played trumpet. Best Wishes SDW!

Fellows
  • Reply 8 of 19
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I'm agree with Matsu on this one.

There is absolutely no reason that you shouldn't continue playing the trumpet and finding avenues for that. Teaching, being in a jazz band, writing your own music -- whatever you enjoy and can bring in a little money for your family.

However I think taking the time to get an MA in Band is not a pragmatic use of your time, even as a musician. What are you going to gain from it in terms of career objectives as a musician? Move past the BS you had to deal with back then and do something for yourself and your music that will have real future benefits.

Put that time and money and effort into something that will improve your musical skills and broaden your expertise...

• Reply 9 of 19
    Follow your dream, join the band.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Wow. The blowhard to trumpet player correlation can't just be coincidence.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    SDW:

I've just woken up, and I'm a little groggy, and my powerbook latch mechanism broke last night, and I'm on hold with Apple right now trying to get a return box from them, so please forgive me if I've missed something.

So let me make sure I've got this straight:

Am I reading this right that you're already in the graduate music performance program? And you want to switch to the marching band from that? That is, you want to make a kind of lateral move in specialization within the music program?

My question is really a much more personal one, and comes out of remarks that other people have made: It's not clear to me *why* you'd want to do this. Do you want to increase your range of knowledge about marching band techniques/instruction/etc so that you can be a better marching band director? Or do you want to go back so you can prove something to yourself? Or maybe a little of both?

I think the decision for you, at this point, is what the impulse is that's leading you to consider doing this. If you simply want to prove something to yourself, I'd say don't do it. Graduate school is tough enough is you're not 21 years old and fresh out of college. Music performance grad school is insane.

There's a kind of nostalgia that lots of people experience a few years out of college--they get settled into their jobs and they start to miss the experiences they had in school, and they get the bug to go back. It's best, I think, to avoid this impulse, because you can't ever go back. Ever.

Sorry if this is a little nebulous.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Wow. The blowhard to trumpet player correlation can't just be coincidence.

I prefer to think of myself as a guy with an energetic tongue and three very well trained fingers on my right hand.

At least that is what my wife likes about it.

Double-tonguing is not just for trumpet playing.

Trill me again baby, trill me again...

Nick
  • Reply 13 of 19
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    SDW if your pleasure is to join the band, join it. But join it for just the fun of playing in it, otherwise you may be disapointed.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

SDW if your pleasure is to join the band, join it. But join it for just the fun of playing in it, otherwise you may be disapointed.

\\

Thanks. That's pretty much the reason. It's not really about proving anything to anyone...actually it's not about that in the slightest. It's about going to do it, for once, without caring about that at all.

As for the MA in band, that's not accurate at all. Perhaps I wasn;t clear. My degree is not changing. I am getting an M.M. in Trumpet Performance...that won't change.

Matsu:

Quote:

heres a reason why marching bands are confined (pretty much) to schools and war marches. Isn't it a bit of a musical low rent TPT endeavor?

At the university I'm at, the band is more like a drum corps, preparing students for careers in music. It would serve as a refresher for me, since I'm not involved with that aspect anymore. The band program where I go does challenging music,...not just marches and fight songs.

By the way, as for getting a "job" in the band itself...I'm not pushing that at all. It might happen anyway depending on what the director thinks...but we'll see.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    Quote:

As for the MA in band, that's not accurate at all. Perhaps I wasn;t clear. My degree is not changing. I am getting an M.M. in Trumpet Performance...that won't change.

SDW: Do you want to, or are you, a teacher of marching bands?

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Quote:

It's not really about proving anything to anyone...actually it's not about that in the slightest. It's about going to do it, for once, without caring about that at all.

Missed this the first time through.

My gut instinct is to say that this attitude changes everything, and that you should go for it. My head, however, wants to know why this "going to do it" is so important to you. I mean, you've already done it once.

I'm not trying to psychoanalyze you or anything. It's just that this is a serious, hardcore decision you're trying to make.

Cheers

Scott
  • Reply 17 of 19
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    I should be clear in the fact that I'm not quitting my job.
  • Reply 18 of 19
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Yeah, SDW, I was just breaking 'em a bit, I figured you couldn't really get a degree in "band." But, really, you seemed to be asking for advice regarding an area of focus. Since you were at one time fairly proficient in band, now might be precisely the time NOT to go back to it, unless you can do it for the pure entertainment and not let it divert your attentions from more important things. Instead, consider branching out and using this time to learn as much as you can, rather than proving as much as you can.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I guess I misunderstood as well. After re-reading your original post before writing my original one, I was still under the impression that Band was a sort of specialty that you could "major in" as a post-grad. Maybe that's not technically correct. Sounds like it's a more wide-ranging experience than just typical marching band stuff.

My only real point that I want to make is, do it because there is something in that course of study that will make you a better: teacher, musician, music writer... something that will enhance your skills / expertise such that it can further your career in music if you chose to further it later on.

Also, I may not understand the time and money costs involved, but it seems like a lot to invest for just a few days worth of performances that you'll enjoy. Could also be that not being a musician, I "just don't get it", so maybe my thoughts are worth squat. It just seemed a little extreme a measure based on your original descriptions. But, if you know you'll love it, then do it.

We only live once as they say.