Unreal 2003 on iBook g4?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi, I've just ordered an iBook g4

I want to know if I can play unreal 2003 with it. Here are the system requirements from the unreal site:

System Requirements: Macintosh OSX v10.2.6 or higher, 700 MHz G4 processor or faster (except 12" PowerBook manufactured in 2003), 256 MB RAM, 3GB hard disk space, 32MB ATI RADEON or Nvidia GeForce 2 or faster. Internet (TCP/IP) and LAN (TCP/IP) play supported. 33.6 Kbps or faster modem and Internet connection are required for online play

I'm worried because it says "except 12" powerbook" and the iBook g4 is worse than the pbook.

So, has anyone tried it or can someone download the demo and see if it works ok?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stevegongrui

Hi, I've just ordered an iBook g4

I want to know if I can play unreal 2003 with it. Here are the system requirements from the unreal site:

System Requirements: Macintosh OSX v10.2.6 or higher, 700 MHz G4 processor or faster (except 12" PowerBook manufactured in 2003), 256 MB RAM, 3GB hard disk space, 32MB ATI RADEON or Nvidia GeForce 2 or faster. Internet (TCP/IP) and LAN (TCP/IP) play supported. 33.6 Kbps or faster modem and Internet connection are required for online play

I'm worried because it says "except 12" powerbook" and the iBook g4 is worse than the pbook.

So, has anyone tried it or can someone download the demo and see if it works ok?

Thanks

I have no info, but i guess you should play to unreal 2003 with your ibook (the graphic chip of the i book is much better than the geforce 420 of the 2003 12 PB)

Anyway what is the clockspeed of your i book ?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    I ordered the 800 one. I see no reason why it shouldn't run but it says except 12inch powerbooks, which were 867 and better than the iBook g4.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    It'll run, but not too well. I ran UT 2003 on my 800 MHz G3 iBook and it was very rough and just barely playable at minimum settings (640x480x16, low quality sound, all details unchecked). I'd get usually about 20 FPS, I'm guessing. My eMac isn't a whole lot better. I can run it with 32 bit color instead of 16 bit, but it's still slow. I have a feeling that UT 2003 really needs some kickass hardware to run well, and it's probably really poorly optimized for the Mac so you won't be able to play it effectively unless you have something like a G5 or a very fast dual G4.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

It'll run, but not too well. I ran UT 2003 on my 800 MHz G3 iBook and it was very rough and just barely playable at minimum settings (640x480x16, low quality sound, all details unchecked). I'd get usually about 20 FPS, I'm guessing. My eMac isn't a whole lot better. I can run it with 32 bit color instead of 16 bit, but it's still slow. I have a feeling that UT 2003 really needs some kickass hardware to run well, and it's probably really poorly optimized for the Mac so you won't be able to play it effectively unless you have something like a G5 or a very fast dual G4.

Well... no.

The old iBook used old hardware.

It should run fine... well playable. The graphics chipset can handel UT2003 but you might want to turn texture quality down on account of only having 32 megs of video ram. However, you will be able to play at 1024x786 with 16 or 32 colour. Oh and for a major speed boost turn shadows off in the game settings. Shadows are over-rated anyway.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Huh? Wha?

I'm sorry. I don't understand why they are making such a sharp distinction as the 12" Powerbook. Both rev. A and B. 12" Powerbooks have debuted this year.

Are they (poorly) trying to say that PowerPC 745x = bad and PowerPC 7447 = good OR do they mean any 12" Powerbooks and threw that 2003 bit in for no good reason?

Screed
  • Reply 6 of 8
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sCreeD

Huh? Wha?

I'm sorry. I don't understand why they are making such a sharp distinction as the 12" Powerbook. Both rev. A and B. 12" Powerbooks have debuted this year.

Are they (poorly) trying to say that PowerPC 745x = bad and PowerPC 7447 = good OR do they mean any 12" Powerbooks and threw that 2003 bit in for no good reason?

Screed

No the biggest difference is the GPU : 5200 for the last revision pb 12 compared to the geforce 420go.

The GPU of the i book is also better than the old GPU of the first revision PB 12. It should work.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    UT 2003 runs acceptably on my PowerBook 12" (rev. A) if you turn the eye candy off (noticeably slower than my similarly spec'd PC with a first generation PCI Radeon). Anyone know why it isn't recommended for 12" PowerBooks? Is it just poor performance/optimisation?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stoo

UT 2003 runs acceptably on my PowerBook 12" (rev. A) if you turn the eye candy off (noticeably slower than my similarly spec'd PC with a first generation PCI Radeon). Anyone know why it isn't recommended for 12" PowerBooks? Is it just poor performance/optimisation?

B/C of the GPU... read other posts.

The rev.A GOU was a slow dog in the 3D realm.