it's that time again....more of my music :)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Some more of my own music is up for free download

This time it's a little different though...

• First: the music is *VERY* inspired by the "symphonic film-score" genre...you'll notice that right away.

• Second: this piece is "exclusively" available as free internet download (thus I decided to rip it in 112 kbps if I should choose to "sell" it comercially later on - however, it's encoded with THE best mp3 encoder available (Logic Audio Platinum 6) so the quality is surprisingly high all considered (as good as a 128 kbps iTunes mp3-rip))

download from this link

that's it. Tell me what you think.

Oh yeah, btw, if all goes well (I'll know if they got their funding through in two weeks), I'll be doing som "real" film-music next summer...more later

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    Downloading now.

Incidentally, I was doing some geography research the other day and learned quite a bit about Denmark, Sweden and Finland. It looked like there is a ferry to Malmo from Copenhagen, but that's a really LONG ride by ferry, isn't it? Also, I never realized what a water-logged country Finland is. No wonder there's so much hockey there, the entire country is a pond-hockey rink by late November!

• Reply 2 of 15
    Wow. You have done some excellent work here Frederik... seriously. I can see this as a title track in any number of modern dramas or thrillers. I really, really like your transitions from the more quiet parts into the dramatic. You use percussion to great effect throughout, and also some very well-placed synthesized pieces (Korg, Roland)?

The only part that seems a bit out of place with the rest is a segment that starts around the 2:00 mark. The horns and synths make it a bit too much like an 80's TV drama or something. Just seems sort of stuffed into the rest of the composition, which generally flows very well from "scene to scene".

My only suggestion, IF you're going to re-work parts of it before selling it on the iTunes Indie music store (and you better because it's good), is to make the first 2.5 minutes flow a bit more smoothly into the rest of the track. The percussion is OK, I just think the horns in that one part and maybe the heavy background piano could be reworked a bit.

Otherwise this is excellent stuff, Frederik. I would buy a sound-track based on music like this or at a minimum buy the track itself from ITMS. This music, while obviously targeted for a film work, can stand on its own too.

Though not as electric sounding, this reminds me a bit of certain Tangerine Dream soundtracks.

• Reply 3 of 15
    awesome!!

It's like Predator meets The 5th element meets edward scissorhands and all while playing Final Fantasy

good stuff.

what did you use to record this? what software?

logic?
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Thanks Moogs and Wrong Robot!!! Really appreciate the feedback!

Quote:

You use percussion to great effect throughout, and also some very well-placed synthesized pieces (Korg, Roland)?

I use Roland synths (U-20, JV-1080 orchestral exp, JV-880) and a Yamaha digital piano P-150 and software synths (Logic build-in and EX-1) plus Audix microphones (with Aphex Tube-preamp) to record voice, flute etc.

Quote:

The only part that seems a bit out of place with the rest is a segment that starts around the 2:00 mark. The horns and synths make it a bit too much like an 80's TV drama or something. Just seems sort of stuffed into the rest of the composition, which generally flows very well from "scene to scene".

Well, although I of course don't fully agree with you (if so, I probably wouldn't have made that part in the first place...), I will take a closer look at that particular 20 second place and see if anything should be changed.

Quote:

I would buy a sound-track based on music like this or at a minimum buy the track itself from ITMS. This music, while obviously targeted for a film work, can stand on its own too.

That's great to hear!!! Now I just have to find the right (indie) publisher... any suggestions?

Quote:

what did you use to record this? what software?

logic?

Yep, Logic Platinum 6.3.1 on my TiBook (1 GHz) running 10.2.8 (getting panther soon, but in the middle of a big job) - very good program!

Besides the instruments mentioned before, I use among other things a Panasonic SV-3800 DAT, TC M-2000 reverb and the "magical box" T.C. Finalizer (THE best 24bit/96khz A/D converters and lot's of goodies)
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

Incidentally, I was doing some geography research the other day and learned quite a bit about Denmark, Sweden and Finland. It looked like there is a ferry to Malmo from Copenhagen, but that's a really LONG ride by ferry, isn't it? Also, I never realized what a water-logged country Finland is. No wonder there's so much hockey there, the entire country is a pond-hockey rink by late November!

There's even a bridge between Malmö and Copenhagen now! (20 km I think)

should be an entry in Guiness book of world records: Biggest hockey rink: Finland

• Reply 6 of 15
    For me the intro was just a little too long and boring but on the whole i thought it was very atmospheric. This would make a great intro to a james bond movie.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Wow, I am very very impressed. I write songs (I play guitar and sing) but I have a ton of respect for anyone who can compose a piece. I am very, very impressed.. So, make sure to let us know when you have more! iWant!
  • Reply 8 of 15
    PA: I understand your comments about the stuff from 2:05 to 2:20ish, obviously you put it in there for a reason. It's your vision, your music -- only you know what's right. I guess not being a musician, I don't know how to properly describe my sense of the music from one part to the next.

To kind of echo what cybermonkey was saying, I think what caught my attention was that the first minute or so is very quiet. Then there's a pause and an intro into the real "meat" of the score"... and so it starts off pretty dramatic at about the 1:30 marker (and the sounds of that my mind understood in terms of the progression from the quiet part). Then from about 2:02 to 2:17 there are these "horns" that just sort of jolted me a bit. Which may in fact be the idea and I don't realize it.

But to go further, what I really like about this track are the transitions and the quieter (but still dramatic) parts.

For example,

1:24 thru 1:38 (what I call a "transition")

2:33 thru 3:01 (quieter part)

4:01 thru 4:17 (tran)

4:48 thru 5:20 (quiet)

The ebb and flow of the quiet part transitioning to the loud piano sequences is what pulls me into the song / keeps me engaged. So my point about the horns was only that it sort of momentarily stopped my engagement in the piece... probably that makes no sense at all, but that's what I was trying to convey. 10 or 15 seconds out of 6.5 minute piece isn't so much a criticism so much as [a commentary on my own mind and the way it parses music]. It's all good, no matter which way you slice it.

Whatever you decide to do with this piece or others to come that are like it, I'm sure I would be interested in having a few copies in my iTunes library.

• Reply 9 of 15
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    I'm listening to it right now. Sounds good. I like it.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Done listening now. Sounds really really great. I'd buy it.

Great work!
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Again, thanks for all the nice comments!

Quote:

Originally posted by cybermonkey

For me the intro was just a little too long and boring but on the whole i thought it was very atmospheric. This would make a great intro to a james bond movie.

Glad you liked it as a whole. I don't think the intro is too long (about 1 minute). It's there for a purpose (several actually). The fact that it may seem a little long and is very quiet, actually helps increase the impact when the "action" starts! The intro keeps you guessing, so to speak.

Quote:

Originally posted by Jeremiah Rich

Wow, I am very very impressed. I write songs (I play guitar and sing) but I have a ton of respect for anyone who can compose a piece. I am very, very impressed.. So, make sure to let us know when you have more! iWant!

Thanks. You bet I will let you know when there are more downloads like this (or when it gets published). Btw, maybe you would like to post some of your own music on the net?

Quote:

Originally posted by Moogs

PA: I understand your comments about the stuff from 2:05 to 2:20ish, obviously you put it in there for a reason. It's your vision, your music -- only you know what's right. I guess not being a musician, I don't know how to properly describe my sense of the music from one part to the next.

To kind of echo what cybermonkey was saying, I think what caught my attention was that the first minute or so is very quiet. Then there's a pause and an intro into the real "meat" of the score"... and so it starts off pretty dramatic at about the 1:30 marker (and the sounds of that my mind understood in terms of the progression from the quiet part). Then from about 2:02 to 2:17 there are these "horns" that just sort of jolted me a bit. Which may in fact be the idea and I don't realize it.

But to go further, what I really like about this track are the transitions and the quieter (but still dramatic) parts.

The ebb and flow of the quiet part transitioning to the loud piano sequences is what pulls me into the song / keeps me engaged. So my point about the horns was only that it sort of momentarily stopped my engagement in the piece... probably that makes no sense at all, but that's what I was trying to convey. 10 or 15 seconds out of 6.5 minute piece isn't so much a criticism so much as [a commentary on my own mind and the way it parses music]. It's all good, no matter which way you slice it.

Whatever you decide to do with this piece or others to come that are like it, I'm sure I would be interested in having a few copies in my iTunes library

You have it exactly right (imo): The contrasts (and trasitions) are very important for this piece. (see also my reply to Cybermonkey). I appreciate that you have listened so carefully to Far Away. Constructive feed back like yours (even if you are not a musican, you are a listener and that's very important) means a lot to me!

Anyhow, Looking forward to sell you some music in the future

Quote:

Originally posted by Defiant

Done listening now. Sounds really really great. I'd buy it.

Great work!

Good to hear! Well, I guess I'm off trying to think about what pieces I should put together with this on a whole CD
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

Anyhow, Looking forward to sell you some music in the future

Just as long as I get the special "AI Listener" and "Listener Feedback" discounts.

Kidding... keep up the good work!
  • Reply 13 of 15
    just an update to let you know that my server is back up running (was down for about 10-12 hours last night (Copenhagen time) for mysterious reasons...???)
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Power Apple

Some more of my own music is up for free download

This time it's a little different though...

? First: the music is *VERY* inspired by the "symphonic film-score" genre...you'll notice that right away.

? Second: this piece is "exclusively" available as free internet download (thus I decided to rip it in 112 kbps if I should choose to "sell" it comercially later on - however, it's encoded with THE best mp3 encoder available (Logic Audio Platinum 6) so the quality is surprisingly high all considered (as good as a 128 kbps iTunes mp3-rip))

download from this link

that's it. Tell me what you think.

Oh yeah, btw, if all goes well (I'll know if they got their funding through in two weeks), I'll be doing som "real" film-music next summer...more later

Very nice work. You've got a shot. Keep at it!
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jukebox Hero

Very nice work. You've got a shot. Keep at it!

Don't worry! I'm working hard and have lots of stuff coming up...