Attn: Tulkas Networking Question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Here is a copy of a reply you helped me with long ago.

Quote:

Originally posted by Tulkas

To allow the Mac to browse the files on the XPbox:

-On the XP machine, right click My Computer and Select Properties.

-Under the Computer Name tab, end an easy name for the computer on the computer description line, like Fellowshipibook, click Ok

-Select a folder you wish to share, not a volume (drive or partition), and right click it

-Under the Sharing tab, in the network sharing section, check off "Share this Folder on the network" and if you want, enter a Share name (this is what it will be 'seen' as on the network), click OK

-On the Mac, under the Go menu, select "Connect To" (I think you choose Windows Server)

-You should see the folders you have made available

-Select one and connect. You will have to enter a username and password for a user on the XP box.

To Enable Mac to share it files to the XP box:

(From Apple's Web Site)

I. Create new accounts for Windows users

Users connecting from Windows computers must have user accounts on the Mac OS X computer that is sharing. There is no guest access. Any person who already has an account on the Mac OS X computer uses his existing account. You must log in to the Mac OS X computer as an Admin user to set this up. The steps differ for new and existing users.

For new users:

1. Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.

2. Choose Accounts from the View menu.

3. Click New User.

4. Enter the Name and Short Name of the user that will log into Mac OS X from Windows (see Note 1).

5. Enter the user's password.

6. Click the checkbox for "Allow user to log in from Windows".

7. Click OK.

For existing users:

2. Choose Accounts from the View menu.

3. Select the user.

4. Click Edit User (Note 2).

5. Select the checkbox for "Allow user to log in from Windows" (Note 3).

6. You are prompted to reset the password. Click OK.

7. Enter the new password, and click Save (Note 4).

II. Specify the Windows workgroup name

The default Mac OS X SMB workgroup name is "WORKGROUP" (Note 5).

If you are sharing files between Mac and PC, you should make sure that your workgroup names are exactly the same on both computers. Use the following steps to change your SMB workgroup name on the Mac OS X computer:

1. Open Directory Access (/Applications/Utilities).

2. Click the padlock to authenticate as the Admin user.

3. Select SMB from the Services list.

4. Click Configure.

5. Enter your SMB workgroup name.

6. Enter your WINS server ip address (if applicable).

III. Enable Windows File Sharing

2. Choose Sharing from the View menu. The Rendezvous Name field will be used for the Mac OS X SMB host name. This is the name that appears in the Windows Network Neighborhood (Note 6).

3. Click the checkbox for Windows File Sharing (located in the Service column). The Network pane reports "Windows File Sharing On" (Note 7).

Notes:

1. The user's short name is is exactly how the user will enter their name when they log in to Windows File Sharing. The short name is always lowercase.

2. If you edit your own account (the logged-in user), you must take the additional step of typing your password in the Current Password field and then pressing Return. This is not required when editing other users.

3. When selecting "Allow user to log in from Windows" for any other user than yourself (the logged-in Admin user), you get the message, "To enable SMB support password reset is required. Do you want to reset password?" Though this message does not appear for the logged-in Admin user, it is still true. When enabling Windows login for your own account, you must change your password at the same time.

4. If any existing user cannot log in to Windows File Sharing on the first attempt, go back to that user's account and change the password again.

5. If you did a custom installation of Mac OS X and deselected the BSD Subsystem, you may not be able to change your workgroup name, which may prevent you from sharing. This is not an issue if you did a standard installation. If necessary, resinstall Mac OS X 10.2 with the BSD Subsystem selected.

6. If Mac OS X obtained a dynamic DHCP address, the dynamic host name (such as "dhcp192.168.10.2") will be used instead of the one entered here.

7. If Windows File Sharing service does not stay on, verify that you have a reliable network connection.

[ 09-18-2002: Message edited by: Tulkas ]</p>

The problem I have now is with panther.

It seems under accounts the "user" area no longer has the area to check "Allow user to log in from Windows". That is Gone now. What to do?

I am trying to network my panther with XP and am having difficulty accessing the mac from my PC. Says cand find path or unauthorized.

I never get the dialogue box to enter name and password etc.

Do you know what I need to do to network Panther with XP ?

Thank you so much

Fellowship

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    Sorry, Fellowship, but I haven't grabbed a copy of Panther yet, so I am unfamiliar with the changes you are referring to. i would recommend looking under the sharing panel in Systems preferences and make sure that Windows Sharing is enabled. That's about all I can think of without actually looking at Panther.

Also, try the Apple supprt pages. That can at times be helpful.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

T.