The return of OS X on an iPod

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Oh Yes!

Panther marks the return of bootable OS X on an iPod.

Now, once again, I can take my studio with me wherever I go - all my work, my apps, my fonts, my music, my correspondence and my photos etc.

I just plug it into a suitable host and hey presto it's MY studio.

That's worth the asking price alone!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    awesome... i need to get an iPod
  • Reply 2 of 20
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Booting off your iPod is a really bad idea. The HD isn't made to run like that. Your going to burn it out. It will get too hot, the motor can't take it.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Booting off your iPod is a really bad idea. The HD isn't made to run like that. Your going to burn it out. It will get too hot, the motor can't take it.

Maybe i will reconsider then... i mean, still get an ipod, but just use it for file transfer and music and not booting from it
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Quote:

Booting off your iPod is a really bad idea.

That's right. Apple doesn't support it, and says if you have to do it, it should be for emergencies only.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Quote:

Motor ? What Motor ? I thought there was no moving parts in an iPod...\
  • Reply 6 of 20
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquafire

Erm, that little motor that spins the Hard Drive?

I just want 'Home Away From Home' If only that really would have been in Panther.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquafire

Hitting the crack pipe again?

The iPod is a hard drive based MP3 player. Inside there is a tiny hard drive with a motor to spin the platter.

If the iPod was not hard drive based then it would be compact flash based, max out at about 4gigs and cost over 1.5 grand. (for the 4gig model),

And yes,

DO NOT USE YOUR iPOD AS A BOOT DEVICE.

Store some files maybe... but do not put any hard drive intence program/file/OS on it.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    neilybneilyb Posts: 128member
    no moving parts? there's a hard drive in that baby!

NeilyB
  • Reply 9 of 20
    i'll say this: the only person i know who's had a hard drive failure on an ipod used hers as a normal external hard drive frequently. she saved ichat logs on there and was constantly read/writing to the ipod drive. i think the drive is really "light duty" in that i wouldn't want to be thrashing it constantly by booting from it or using it as a normal drive more often than necessary. of course, i have an external firewire drive anyway.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

Panther marks the return of bootable OS X on an iPod.

Ummm.... Huh? My iPod was booting 10.2 for ages man. Carbon Copy Cloner worked fine with 10.2.

Barto
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

Ummm.... Huh? My iPod was booting 10.2 for ages man. Carbon Copy Cloner worked fine with 10.2.

Barto

Keyword: was
  • Reply 12 of 20
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    The hard drive is always spinning in Firewire Disk Mode. It heats up a little. There should not be any damaging effects from using the hard drive. Booting off it causes a lot of read/write activity but other than that it should be happy. It's a hard drive for crying out loud!

BTW, I have a backup OS on my iPod only for emergencies, but Quake 3 runs just fine. 8)
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

Keyword: was

My iPod was booting 10.2 until I got 7B53 when I installed that, then Panther final and I installed that. My iPod has probably spent about 500 hours as a boot device, with zero problems. Even though it's the famously dodgy 15GB model.

The iPod's hard drive is a CE Hard Drive, it's actually safer to leave running than a normal hard drive because it is designed to be subjected to harsher use, trading speed for reliability. The iPod's 32MB cache makes up for the lower speed though

Barto
  • Reply 14 of 20
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

My iPod was booting 10.2 until I got 7B53 when I installed that, then Panther final and I installed that. My iPod has probably spent about 500 hours as a boot device, with zero problems. Even though it's the famously dodgy 15GB model.

The iPod's hard drive is a CE Hard Drive, it's actually safer to leave running than a normal hard drive because it is designed to be subjected to harsher use, trading speed for reliability. The iPod's 32MB cache makes up for the lower speed though

Barto

I tried everything I could think of to get 10.2 onto my iPod but there was always something that didn't seem to work. Often when I thought I had installed it correctly I would just get the grey screen at start-up and nothing else.

I didn't really know about CCC at that point, and simply gave up.

I had heard rumour about how it was a bad idea to boot from the iPod, and just 'assumed' that Apple had a good (because it caused damage) or bad (they intentionally disabled the feature because they didn't want it to compete with some future product release) reason.

So what's a CE hard drive? I believe the drives in the iPod are 1.8", is that right?
  • Reply 15 of 20
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacUsers

Maybe i will reconsider then... i mean, still get an ipod, but just use it for file transfer and music and not booting from it

Go for the iPod, totally sweet device. You won't regret it for a second. Transferring the occasional file is no big deal, but using it as a boot drive is a very bad idea.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:

I didn't really know about CCC at that point, and simply gave up.

Same thing happened to me. 10.2's installer just does not work with iPods, and I was ready to give up, but I found CCC in time. I used CCC to install Panther onto my iPod too, having lost trust in the Mac OS X installer

Quote:

So what's a CE hard drive? I believe the drives in the iPod are 1.8", is that right?

CE = Consumer Electronics, as opposed to the faster and less hard-wearing desktop drives.

As for why Apple doesn't support it, I can only imagine they don't because they feel it would cost to much to develop and support installation of Mac OS X to iPods.

DMBand0026, as much as we appreciate you telling us to wait an hour after eating before swimming, I think you're overreacting.

Barto
  • Reply 17 of 20
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    That's a funny sig.

DMB was just trying to make sure they don't break their iPods. I used to boot off it every now and then and I use my iPod a lot. I think it's just one of those YMMV things, where you might be able to get away with it but if you want to play it safe don't do it.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

That's a funny sig.

Thanks. I got it from here, and they got it from here. I didn't realise before finding the quote that catholic theologians had such a good sense of humor

I toned down my post, too.

Barto
  • Reply 19 of 20
    machemmachem Posts: 319member
    My local (Apple) engineering rep told me that they use iPods to boot and image G5 cluster nodes.

Even so, I'd roughly agree that it isn't wise to do this day in, day out.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

DMBand0026, as much as we appreciate you telling us to wait an hour after eating before swimming, I think you're overreacting.

Barto