Cheap PCI Video Card for my Red Hat 9 Box?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I need a cheap PCI-based video card for my PC Linux box. 16-32 MB is fine. It can't be AGP. Must be PCI. Not for games...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    ATI 7000 PCI 32megs

Or you could use an old RAGE 128 PCI

Both will work with RedHat out of the box.

You new to linux?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by \\/\\/ickes

ATI 7000 PCI 32megs

Or you could use an old RAGE 128 PCI

Both will work with RedHat out of the box.

You new to linux?

Thanks

Ya, pretty new. Ran older PPC distros before but this is my first serious Red Hat box. I love it. Just got a CompTIA Linux cert. Havent had to mess with many drivers or modules thus far...
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

Thanks

Ya, pretty new. Ran older PPC distros before but this is my first serious Red Hat box. I love it. Just got a CompTIA Linux cert. Havent had to mess with many drivers or modules thus far...

Well red hat is good for people who are new to linux...

Most if not all hardware runs out of the box, and the odd one or two which needs extra effort are simple to get running.

Just watch out for programs running in the background that you don't need. Red Hat tends to be bloated with extras you never use.

I use Slackware Linux 9.1. Right now infact. It is the most unix-like of all distros. I love it but I might give Yopper a try soon. I started on Red Hat 7, it was ok but there were times when I wanted to pull my hair out.

Good Luck!
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Mind if I get your e-mail address? I may have questions in the future for you...

:0)

-Dan
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Yah... PM me and I will send it to you. No problem.