Apple's .zip compression services

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
What is BOMArchiveHelper?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    BOMArchiveHelper is the program that handles archives. Namely, it decompresses zip files and mounts disk images.

Remember: it's a Good Thing? that Apple has put this in as a separate app rather than bloating up the Finder.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    Has anyone set OS X to automatically decompress zip's using BOMArchiveHelper rather than StuffIt doing it?

is it working properly?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Yes it works BUT what is it? an App? Where is it? Who made it? Is it in Linux, Unix too?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    evoevo Posts: 198member
    Is BOMArchiveHelper better than using Stuffit Expander?
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

Yes it works BUT what is it? an App? Where is it? Who made it? Is it in Linux, Unix too?

I just told you what it is.

Yes.

/System/Library/Core Services

Apple.

No.

• Reply 6 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by eVo

Is BOMArchiveHelper better than using Stuffit Expander?

YES.

Stuffit in it's latest version (8.0) STILL can't do more than one thing at a time! It's still horribly threaded and inefficient.

BOMArchiveHelper doesn't do much, but what it does it does well. Open another zip file while one is expanding? No problem! The progress window expands just like it would for disk images.

Speed? Well, an archive that took 4 seconds to expand natively took 17 seconds in Stuffit Expander. I think that alone speaks for itself.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Stuffit is at 9 already? Crikey, just hit 8 a few weeks ago!
  • Reply 8 of 12
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    The compression is gzip, for what it's worth. I wonder why the resulting files get the .zip extension, but it's gzip. From this page:
    Quote:

Compress and expand files and folders directly in the Finder using the standard gzip format.

• Reply 9 of 12
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

YES.

Stuffit in it's latest version (8.0) STILL can't do more than one thing at a time! It's still horribly threaded and inefficient.

BTW: for those running 8.0: you definitely need to update to 8.0.1. There is a rather serious bug in 8.0 that will disregard permissions on certain .sit-compressed files (notably applications) and will render an application unusable. I had problems with Thoth and Sound Studio and thought it was Panther. Turns out it was Stuffit!
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Quote:

Originally posted by ZO

Stuffit is at 9 already? Crikey, just hit 8 a few weeks ago!

Heh, I guess you loaded the thread before I could correct my post. I meant 8.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    BOMArchiveHelper?

Why isn't it names "ZIP Extreme"? or "iZIP" or something more "Appleish"?

I think it uses .zip, not .gzip...
  • Reply 12 of 12
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Dunno, it takes about 4 times more for BOMArchiveHelper to create a zip than stuffit, but sure seems faster about unzipping them. For me anyway.