San Diego fire

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
any of you guys in the sd area ?

im in vista & its really bad in some of the other areas

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    I'm in Westlake, there is also a fire in simi which is about 7 miles from me, needless to say we are kind of worried, though last we heard it seems to be moving AWAY from us.

My sister, she was in Clairmont, the san bernadino fire swept through there and burned her house down!

she's fine, she's now here with us, but she lost a lot of artwork and photography stuff in the fire

what a terrible thing to happen.

I don't care what man says...nature is boss

my thoughts go out to all those affected, over 350 homes lost!
  • Reply 2 of 18
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    I was in the San Diego area this weekend. The area directly around UCSD wasn't really affected. It did rain ash for a while though.

This may sound petty but I'm fvcking pissed that they moved the Chargers game to Tempe, Arizona. I HAD MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL TICKETS! Monday Night football NEVER comes to San Diego. Gah. The one time it does in 10 years and it gets moved. Just great.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

Monday Night football NEVER comes to San Diego. Gah. The one time it does in 10 years and it gets moved. Just great.

Road trip...

Anyway, I bet the sunset in San Diego, San Bernardino, etc. was pretty last night...
  • Reply 4 of 18
    sammi josammi jo Posts: 4,634member
    It was fortunate that Schwarzenegger was elected before these fires... Bush will be (more) open to granting federal disaster aid.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Slam Bo

It was fortunate that Schwarzenegger was elected before these fires... Bush will be (more) open to granting federal disaster aid.

I saw a news blurb saying he has pledged his support, I do hope that support comes quick though, it's getting hot in here.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    I hope the fires are out by this weekend. My wife and I love the spend our anniversary/Halloween in the old gas-lamp district. It would suck if it's still raining ash, air filled with putrid smelling smoke, and all.

Everyone gets dressed up in costumes and walks up and down the district. With Halloween being on Friday night it should be very cool, lots of fun. We always eat at Jim Croce's restaurant. It would be nice to have fresh air this weekend.

Still, my heart's out to all those affected by the fires.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    just got back from work. the air is really bad & visibility is bad

my work is still standing though quite a bit of the surrounding hillside

is toast

its heartbreaking to see so much of the landscape reduced to ash.

the air is bad so if u walk around carry water with you or your

throat will feel really messed up after some time

for those complaining about the game...take the chargers with you

good riddance.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Hmm, arsonists...San Diego area...ELF? I wonder... Doesn't seem they've taken responsibility, but who would?
  • Reply 9 of 18
    Mission Valley has not been too fun for the past couple of days.

If you're familiar with San Diego then you'll know exactly where these pictures were taken. If you're not, then it's near the intersection of the 8 and the 15 by Qualcomm.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by israces

If you're familiar with San Diego then you'll know exactly where these pictures were taken. If you're not, then it's near the intersection of the 8 and the 15 by Qualcomm.

Amazing pictures.

Stay safe.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chinney

Amazing pictures.

Stay safe.

I second that and btw Chinney, nice signature

Fellows
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by israces

then it's near the intersection of the 8 and the 15 by Qualcomm.

Great pix. Your exactly one exit away from me
  • Reply 13 of 18
    chinneychinney Posts: 1,019member
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

...and btw Chinney, nice signature

Fellows

It paraphases one of my favourite passages. And I think that there are many who follow this guidance, whether consciously or not. It applies to service of all types. I am thinking, for example, of a teacher in my kids' school who has made a real difference with constant extra effort on behalf of the children. To me this is real service and true greatness.

Back to the actual subject of the thread...I can't believe how many people have lost their homes, and that some have died too. Things look a bit more hopeful this morning.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    My brother in law lives in the area and he had to evacuate his condo 2 days ago. He sent some pics via email, I'll try and post them when I get home.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Here are some pics:

http://www.angelfire.com/mac/outside.../sandiego.html

Use Safari so it blocks all the damn pop up ads. Page is about 1.2MB.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._aid_request_1

Gov. Davis applied in April for federal funds to clear away the fire hazards of dead trees infested with bark beetles..and the Bush Admin. turned him down. Now there's 20 dead, 700,000 acres charred and 2600 homes destroyed in those very same areas.

I wonder, if Arnold Sch. had been Governor back then...those federal funds would have been granted in full, guaranteed.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by sammi jo

I wonder, if Arnold Sch. had been Governor back then...those federal funds would have been granted in full, guaranteed.

with every post of yours speculating about one or another

conspiracy theory are you working for fox news ?

• Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by madmax559

with every post of yours speculating about one or another

conspiracy theory are you working for fox news ?

haha... lol conspiracy theory... you people can be so funny!

No...but it's a question worthy of pondering:

Ever since Bush entered the White House, California has been screwed in one way or the other, most notably by criminally inclined energy middlemen (read parasites), a number of whom just happen to be coincidentally close to Bush admin officials, as well as the president himself. Perhaps with Arnie as Governor (nominally a Republican, albeit a very "liberal" one compared to other Republican governors) the feds will change their tune on California....thereby giving the California electorate the impression that a Republican governor is beneficial to the state. Karl Rove et al could see it as a great way of embracing the voters of California, who tend to vote more liberal than many other parts of the union. California is a big voting bloc..and Bush badly needs to be popular in CA is he is to be returned for a second term in 2004.