WTF... Missing iTunes 4.1 Burning feature?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I read about what's new in iTunes 4.1:

All from Apple Webpages:

"Burn large playlists onto multiple CDs or DVDs."

"Disc Spanning. Back up your music collection on multiple CDs or DVDs."

"iTunes does the thinking for you ? just keep feeding it discs till you?re done. Both Macs and PCs can burn backups to CD, and iTunes will span your collection across multiple discs automatically."

I can't make iTunes 4.1 make this happen in Panther. Choosing a 788 MB mp3 playlist and burning it to CD in mp3 format informs me that the playlist is too big and it won't fit on the CD, and asks if I want to burn the remainder of the list. I say yes, it burns the first 650 MB, and then that's it. Same as it's ever been since iTunes 3. Where's this "just keep feeding it discs till you're done" business? Anyone else try it or get it to work?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Ummmmm. Did you try inserting another blank disc to see if it automatically started to burn to that one? Just asking.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I did check with another blank CD. It doesn't do anything.

You shouldn't have to insert a CD anyway, it should "ask" you for one, as the marketing shiet mentions...
  • Reply 3 of 4
    I'm currently backing up my entire music collection to DVD's. Here's how it works:

Note: Disc type in the Burning preferences must be Data CD/DVD to span discs. (From iTunes Help)
    • Click burn to burn the playlist you want to burn, in my case I had to create one with all the songs in my Library in it.

• Say yes to spanning multiple discs when asked

• Say yes to Data CD/DVD when asked

• You can now click burn to begin the process. Note that before you press burn the number of songs listed to be burnt will be less than the total number in the playlist (this is normal).

• Once the first disc is complete it will go back to insert blank disc and will probably ask again about Data discs. This is also normal. Before clicking burn again the number of files to be burned will likely be different to the first time and the little check boxes in the playlist will be unchecked for the songs you have already burnt.

• Click burn

• Repeat as long as necessary, that's it.

• Reply 4 of 4
    fantastic. Thanks!