So much for Pixlets

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I downloaded the 116Mb "Space Shuttle" Pixlet demo from Apple, and I only get 15-17fps, and lots of jerks, on a 1.33Ghz Powerbook. Anyone else had similar experiences?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    What demo is this?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Apple's Mac OS X refers to a sample, but there's no link.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/

If you already have Panther installed on your 1 GHz or faster G4 Macintosh, click below to download a 355 MB sample of Pixlet encoded high definition video.

Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

What demo is this?

• Reply 3 of 13
    scottibscottib Posts: 381member
    http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/quicktime/

Earlier today there was a link to download a Pixlet-encoded QT .mov. Seems like it was pulled. Here's a screen grab of what was there:

3.1MB/sec should easily be handled by 1.33 G4, I'd think.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    That was the one I was on about, guess they might have pulled it
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by scottiB

3.1MB/sec should easily be handled by 1.33 G4, I'd think.

It's not the throughput that is the problem, rather, the tax on the CPU for decoding the video. I haven't played around with Pixlet at all, but generally, when you have a codec that is compressing things to an insanely small data rate, you pay for it with the amount of CPU power required to decode the video.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Anybody mind posting this video clip? I'd love to see pixlet in action on my G5.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Zool, I thing there was something wrong with the apple example, there's no way it should have been as rubbish as it was - leave it a few days and they'll post a fixed version. It was quite big though - 116Mb.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chopper3

It was quite big though - 116Mb.

That was probably what was wrong since the text says it shoud be 355MB
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

That was probably what was wrong since the text says it shoud be 355MB

the text said 116mb..
  • Reply 10 of 13
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sopphode

the text said 116mb..

It now says 355MB:

"If you already have Panther installed on your 1 GHz or faster G4 Macintosh, click below to download a 355 MB sample of Pixlet encoded high definition video."
  • Reply 11 of 13
    tuttletuttle Posts: 301member
    Is the link still missing or am I the only one not see where to "click below" ?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tuttle

Is the link still missing or am I the only one not see where to "click below" ?

text is back... but the link isnt there
  • Reply 13 of 13
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chopper3

Zool, I thing there was something wrong with the apple example, there's no way it should have been as rubbish as it was - leave it a few days and they'll post a fixed version. It was quite big though - 116Mb.

Who's Zool... and who's to say that I wouldn't notice an error ridden file. Wanna ask me how much encoding work I've done?

Problematic or not, I'd still like to check out the example movie.