More RAM or a new Video card? Which helps gaming more?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have money to spend on upgrading my G5, and I really don't know how much RAM helps gaming. Does anyone know? And which will be the better priceerformance value, a GPU or RAM?

Feel free to move to CH or GD if you see fit, Mods.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    That depends on what you have now. Both are pretty important, but the GPU probably a bit more than the RAM.

How much RAM do you have?

What video card do you have?

Purchasing advice.. off to General Discussion.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    Upgrade the GPU over the RAM. Of course, a GPU upgrade will be much more expensive than a RAM upgrade. What are you playing that needs a new GPu if you just bought a G5?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    resres Posts: 711member
    If you have 512Megs of Ram you should be fine. If you like the eye candy and a high frame rate in the games, the Radeon 9800 pro is the best you can get for the Mac right now.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Yevgeny

Upgrade the GPU over the RAM. Of course, a GPU upgrade will be much more expensive than a RAM upgrade. What are you playing that needs a new GPu if you just bought a G5?

Doom III is coming, and I want to be ready to own.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

If you plan to play Doom III, you should wait as long as possible before getting a new video card. That game will tax even current high-end cards.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    Quote:

save money and get whatever is out when D3 comes out... Or, get a good rig now, and start putting money aside for highend graphics card when the game comes out.

Anyway, I wouldnt go anywhere today without at least 1GB of Ram for anything. Have minimum of 512MB in any case
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

I have money to spend on upgrading my G5, and I really don't know how much RAM helps gaming. Does anyone know? And which will be the better priceerformance value, a GPU or RAM?

Feel free to move to CH or GD if you see fit, Mods.

Right now, 512MB is plenty for gaming. The only apps I use that show improvement with more than 512MB are Photoshop, 3D rendering apps, and movie editors.

For gaming, your graphics card is MUCH more improtant. A 64MB DDR graphics card should be more than enough for most Mac games that are currently available, but if you always want to run the fastest, coolest games, you should probably upgrade to a 128MB card sooner than later.