Ibook 366

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hey everyone i know the post underneath is similar. But. I just used a mac properly for the first time on sunday. I used pcs for years and years so its not too diffrent to get hold of . anyways. MY girlfriends Ibook is a 366mhz G3 with 64mb of ram. I know now that OS x wouldnt have a chance on it cause it needs like 192Mb but if i installed another 256mb stick for her would Os x work on on it.

366mhz with 320Mb ram she just wants osx basicly she is used to slow computers she says so she wouldnt mind it being too slow. Just wondering how slow it would be ? would it be workable.

By the way im totaly in love with mac's now after 2 days i realise a whole world i was missing out. Im after a good 2nd hand one Ibook about 600Mhz anyone got any ideas where to get good 2nd hand ones NOT ebay.

Thanks a lot ALL

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    With 320 MB of RAM, it'll be workable. A 366 MHz iBook will never be really fast in OS X, but it'll certainly be usable. Go for it!
  • Reply 2 of 16
    thanks a lot mate. my girlfriend really is used to slow pcs tho get a load of this...

450mhz celeron 64mb ram on WINDOWS 2000. I used it the other day man it would kill me running that slow.

Im sure OS x would be better than that hey ?
  • Reply 3 of 16
    It should be a bit better. OS X was very sluggish on my 233 MHz Wallstreet, but your iBook has more than a 50% higher clock speed and it'll have more RAM too. It should be okay for general everyday tasks, but I'd suggest turning off various features like dock magnification, and use the Scale effect rather than the Genie effect. Also, you might have to reduce the systemwide font size and icon size so you save on screen area - the 800x600 screen on those old iBooks is very cramped in OS X.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    cheers for your help mate...
  • Reply 5 of 16
    also what type of ram can i buy is it just standard pc 100 sdram like a pc or some special type? cause i can get 256mb for £35 any ideas
  • Reply 6 of 16
    You're looking for a PC100 SO-DIMM. It should work with basically anything, including RAM for PCs, but most PCs use DDR now so it's not quite as easy to find PC100 anymore. It might be nice to get one from a place that specifically advertises Mac-compatibility, because some modules use higher density chips that won't be fully recognized. It's happened to me before, so just be careful about that. Also, sometimes it pays to not necessarily buy from the cheapest place - you don't have to spend twice as much for "premium" RAM, but sometimes it's nice to get something a little better than the cheapest available. I haven't had problems with bargain RAM but I know other people have, so be careful.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jamesfowler2k2

thanks a lot mate. my girlfriend really is used to slow pcs tho get a load of this...

450mhz celeron 64mb ram on WINDOWS 2000. I used it the other day man it would kill me running that slow.

Im sure OS x would be better than that hey ?

No. If anything, OS X is more demanding than Win2K.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    but her win 2k machine had 64mb ram
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Memory 256MB SODIMM for Apple

so this ram would work its only £40 quid.

made by kingston
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Though the Apple specs don't admitt it, that machine will accept a 512MB stick !
  • Reply 11 of 16
    really is this a def? if so id get that
  • Reply 12 of 16
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Get it and be happy. But really 9.22 might be a better idea to stick with if it's stable for you.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Definitely get that RAM and put Panther on it. I have an iBook 366 SE and it chugs along nicely. It is extremely useable for what I use it for: browsing, email, terminal stuff - using airport access around my place. Of course, don't expect any "real-work speed."

Also, I'll confirm that the ibook will take a 512 DIMM. Mine has 576MB:

Good luck! I love me little iBook. Still useful after all these years.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    ramseeker.com has a good list of places with mac compatibility. They also tell you what machine the ram is good for, so you can rest assured it will (almost always) work. If crucial.com isn't too much more expensive, you should buy from there because they're a good company with good service.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Even my iBook 300 (Rev. A Blueberry) can handle a 512MB ram module.

• Reply 16 of 16
    brilliant cheers guys will get some ram for it and sort it out for the girl thanks alll