Panther installer options

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Okay, so there are a number of different ways you can install Panther, and there are a number of different rumours doing the rounds as to which is best?

?for instance, is it true that a 'format and clean install' results in a faster machine, or is this a myth?

If it's true, why does this happen? What are the differences between this method and the 'archive' install - apart from the obvious.

I've always gone for the format and clean install, followed by a rub-my-tummy-and-turn-around-three-times? but I'm starting to wonder if all the grief is really necessary!

Anybody know exactly what the differences are?

\

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    mertmert Posts: 12member
    I ll have my new Panther os in a few days ..i hope (Btw: i love FedEX)

I have a pb 17 1.0 mhz and i also want to know your questinos answers.I allready backed up all my data s.....
  • Reply 2 of 10
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I've never noticed a difference between a clean in stall and a basic upgrade. IMO it's a myth that one is better than the other. The main reason people seem to do that is to clean the disk.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mert

I ll have my new Panther os in a few days ..i hope (Btw: i love FedEX)

I have a pb 17 1.0 mhz and i also want to know your questinos answers.I allready backed up all my data s.....

I never knew they made a 1mhz model 17" PowerBook...

I too want to know the answer to Messiah's "questino".

• Reply 4 of 10
    the 1ghz 17" is the first 17" model... the 1.3 is the updated version.

Answer to the question. I think clean install is better than the upgrade. Because in upgrade the installer doesn't remove all the unnecessary files left behind. Therefore it would be "CLEANER" to do a clean install. You'll probably have less problems with the system as well...
  • Reply 5 of 10
    moliu, you may want to re-read that post again, i think you missed a detail or two
  • Reply 6 of 10
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    I archive/install'd my 12"PB and clean installed 10.3 on my 533DP and Panther seems faster on my PowerBook (seems natural) overall.

The only downside is that Safari keeps crashing whenever I post HTML or UBB on the Dual G4.

edit:clarification
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Okay, this is a subjective answer to your question but here goes.

I have a 400 Mhz G4 AGP tower and a 667 Mhz Tibook. Under jaguar, my laptop always felt faster for everything - from games to typing in word to surfing the net to general OS responsiveness.

I recently installed Panther on both machines but I did a clean install on the desktop (I have multiple partions with one dedicated for the OS itself) but an upgrade on the laptop (only one partition with no easy way to back it up).

I was BLOWN AWAY by the increase in speed of my desktop. Not only is it much more useable now, I would say that it is actually responsive and fast. Even my brother who used to complain about how slow my desktop was under Jaguar could not believe how much Panther increased the speed. Although I think my laptop sped up as well in terms of responsiveness, I think my desktop feels faster now at the aforementioned tasks.

I can't be certain it is the type of install but I will be doing clean installs from now on.

-Dr. Bimane
  • Reply 8 of 10
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Really the only difference between a clean install and an archive and install is that with a clean install you're essentially defragging your disk at the same time since the data can be written sequentially.

There is really no reason to do the standard upgrade since there are often other issues (but especially speed) that go along with it.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Mmm? interesting?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    What is the difference between Archive and install while keepig user and network information and upgrading besides having a previous system folder placed on your harddrive?

I installed like that on all my computers because I liked the idea of a new system folder. Not sure it is better. I will let you guys know how a 400Mhz G3 is speed up from 10.2.6 to 10.3

On my PowerBook 1.25Ghz it didn't do to much, and it was noticable more on my 733MHz QuickSilver.