DMGs failing to mount in Panther?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I don't know if it's Panther or not, but since installing I can't seem to mount DMG files. I'll download a DMG (like from Alladin or Logitech) and then try to mount it and it will fail with some kind of error (something about a codec). Btw, I'm downloading these images via Safari 1.1. L me try to mount one again and give you the exact error message. Okay, this time it gives me a different message, first it was something about a codec, now it's saying "no mountable filesystems"???

What is going on? I can't download any drivers or updates? Btw, I'm running filevault, in case that makes a difference.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    the no filesystems seems to suggest a corrupted .dmg file. have you tried any known to be working .dmgs? Maybe something from the mothership, or maybe one you made yourself?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by fuzz_ball

...then try to mount it and it will fail with some kind of error (something about a codec).

Is it possible that .dmg files have somehow become associated with QuickTime or some other media player? Perhaps you can try explicitly opening and mounting one of these files with Disk Utility as see what happens.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

the no filesystems seems to suggest a corrupted .dmg file. have you tried any known to be working .dmgs? Maybe something from the mothership, or maybe one you made yourself?

I just keep re-downloading the same one from the same source (Logitech for instance) and eventually one of them works. I download DMGs quite frequently and have NEVER had a problem prior to Panther. Now it's constant. I'm having tons of other problems with Panther come to think of it; at this point I'm headed back to Jaguar...
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

Is it possible that .dmg files have somehow become associated with QuickTime or some other media player? Perhaps you can try explicitly opening and mounting one of these files with Disk Utility as see what happens.

Tried that, no difference. Same errors.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Have DL plenty of them recently with no problems...
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Well all I know is that my system has been rock-solid since I bought it in March, and since installing Panther a little over 48 hours ago, I'm having nothing but problems. Preferences randomly getting hosed for a variety of applications (notably Finder, Mail, and Sys prefs). I turned off filevault and apparantly it has corrupted/destroyed some of my files. Files that I could open in Jaguar, and I was able to open THIS MORNING while filevault was still active have now been rendered useless. Luckily I have a backup from last night on my FW drive at home. I have applications that are refusing to start up now (X11 in particular).

This is the buggiest POS I've ever installed. I had minimal problems with 8, 9, and 10, 10.1, and 10.2.

I guess I shouldn't complain too much, at least I'm not have 2-3 kernel panics a day like some other poor guy I read about on Apple's discussion boards...

At this point I'm going to be forced to do a clean install (NOT how I was planning on spending my night). The question is, do I clean install Jag and stop there or do am I feeling lucky and clean install Panther on top of that...decisions, decisions...
  • Reply 7 of 7
    I read where someone else was having lots of issue with Panther while FileVault was enabled and that they went away when he turned it off. Perhaps you should try that.