Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    I pity the foo' that cites ZDNet for quotes!!
  • Reply 2 of 20
    logan calelogan cale Posts: 1,281member
    [quote]Silicon Valley veteran Michael Malone points out that flat screens are fast becoming the norm even without Apple?s help, and that stuffing all the computer innards into a little dome is not very useful since most desks have plenty of wasted space underneath in which to put a computer tower, but little space on the desktop where the new iMac will sit. <hr></blockquote>

Uhh..yeah...but a monitor has to sit on your desk still...

[quote]The inbuilt design of the monitor might also prove a drawback because the beautiful screen cannot be used with any other computer, the analysts said. <hr></blockquote>

What do you expect from an all-in-one computer?!
  • Reply 3 of 20
    [quote] Silicon Valley veteran Michael Malone <hr></blockquote>

So who is this anyway? Or, is "Silicon Valley veteren" the latest euphamism for "some unemployed schmuck that emailed us"?
  • Reply 4 of 20
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    You can just see the guy dying to buy one, but he's just to PC to go for it. Give in to your lust buddy and learn what it feels like.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Actually, he's correct. My computer sits on the floor like everyone elses.

I would much rather have a $800 tower and I'm sure many other people would also. Why not offer both?.............................
  • Reply 6 of 20
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAHA

Thats funny. That is a joke right? right...?
  • Reply 7 of 20
    They are like..so missing the point..

it's an...

ALL

IN

ONE

COMPUTER!

It's not like it's the only computer Apple makes, you know. They DO have towers.. so don't complaing about "space management"

I mean, geez, didn't pc's use to have that "desktop case" deal going on back then (in fact..they still have that now)

now THOSE waste space

and how stupid is it to complain about the monitor being attached...

did they like..miss the whole design point of the imac??

morons.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by pismeov:

<strong>They are like..so missing the point..

it's an...

ALL

IN

ONE

COMPUTER!

It's not like it's the only computer Apple makes, you know. They DO have towers.. so don't complaing about "space management"

I mean, geez, didn't pc's use to have that "desktop case" deal going on back then (in fact..they still have that now)

now THOSE waste space

and how stupid is it to complain about the monitor being attached...

did they like..miss the whole design point of the imac??

morons. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Indeed, they are morons. These people have no sense of the industry or what Apple's ultimate goal is.

What is the digital hub supposed to be? A freaking 10 piece erector set?

[ 01-16-2002: Message edited by: Macintosh ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Not an erector set, a Lego set... silly!
  • Reply 10 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by MacsRGood4U:

<strong>Not an erector set, a Lego set... silly! </strong><hr></blockquote>

hehe
  • Reply 11 of 20
    neomacneomac Posts: 145member
    [quote]Originally posted by steve666:

<strong>Actually, he's correct. My computer sits on the floor like everyone elses. </strong><hr></blockquote>

And why does it sit on the floor? Because it's too damn big to sit on the desk ... hence the iMac.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    I was under the impression that the newer Mac Towers were to be treated like a piece of art, rather then an electronic device and therefore be displayed on top of a desk. :cool:
  • Reply 13 of 20
    [quote]publicity photos misrepresent it by leaving out the keyboard and mouse. <hr></blockquote> What the heck does this mean? It is the most irrelevant statement in an article full of them.

[quote]The inbuilt design of the monitor might also prove a drawback because the beautiful screen cannot be used with any other computer, the analysts said. <hr></blockquote> Really? No! If you want a monitor to use with multiple computers, you buy a "beautiful" 15 inch Apple Studio Display, not an all in 1 computer!

I am very disappointed that there is no way to respond to the article and tell them how inane it is!
  • Reply 14 of 20
    [quote]Originally posted by steve666:

<strong>Actually, he's correct. My computer sits on the floor like everyone elses.

I would much rather have a $800 tower and I'm sure many other people would also. Why not offer both?.............................</strong><hr></blockquote>

And if you owned a Cube, you'd probably put it on the floor too, wouldn't you!

I suppose you could use it as a food warmer, but WHY???
  • Reply 15 of 20
    You wrote; "I am very disappointed that there is no way to respond to the article and tell them how inane it is!"

There is a link at the bottom of the page; "Star Publications".

Yes, send them a nasty e-mail and, tell them you'll never buy their paper again!

Well, at least they will get some feed back.

You might also ask them if, these so called experts are on MicroSoft's payroll.....joe
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Some people will never learn to use their brain, even after 6 millions machines of a similar concept have been sold.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    [quote]Silicon Valley veteran Michael Malone points out that flat screens are fast becoming the norm even without Apple?s help, and that stuffing all the computer innards into a little dome is not very useful since most desks have plenty of wasted space underneath in which to put a computer tower, but little space on the desktop where the new iMac will sit. <hr></blockquote>

Little space that isn't already taken by your monitor, your keyboard and your mouse. Riight.

[quote]Another criticism is that the iMac does not contain expansion slots for adding extra drives,<hr></blockquote>

Consumer line. It is called iMac, after all. It's a matter of the branding. And DUH! Firewire anyone?

[quote]But doing away with the wires necessary to connect the keyboard and mouse would have been neater<hr></blockquote>

Like my boss says, we can't promise the development groups the moon, the stars, and the sky. We have to focus on just one and deliver. Besides, I'd like the option of changing keyboards or mice out. And that mouse is optical. that takes some juice.

[quote]An analysis by Gartner research group said that while the iMac might appeal to Mac loyalists, its relatively high price would hinder any plans to lure enough other consumers to gain market share from rival Windows systems and could pose problems in the budget-oriented education field, where user-friendly Apple machines have long set the standard. <hr></blockquote>

*AHEM* *waves CD of WinNT*

Seriously, it's going to be sooo expensive. They are still planning to sell quite a few of the old ones till the new prices drop.

[quote]The inbuilt design of the monitor might also prove a drawback because the beautiful screen cannot be used with any other computer, the analysts said. <hr></blockquote>

That's just insipid. Where was this guy when iMac CRT came out? Give him lemonade and he pees in it.

[quote]But perhaps the most important criticism is that apart from its arresting design, the new iMac contains little user friendliness that cannot be had from a much cheaper machine running Windows XP.<hr></blockquote>

This coming from the windows world where everything is oh so usable. Can we say kludge? They may have FW and USB on wintel machines, but most of them still come with legacy ports. That's not confusing or anything, now is it? I was reluctant to use USB at first, but I find that it is the best route for consumers.

[quote]Without a clear advantage in ease of use, snazzy design may be all the iMac can offer.<hr></blockquote>

If you can't see the usability, perhaps you shouldn't be in the computer industry.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    spotbugspotbug Posts: 361member
    [quote]

Without a clear advantage in ease of use, snazzy design may be all the iMac can offer.

<hr></blockquote>

Sounds to me like all of his criticisms of the new iMac could easily be applied to the original, CRT iMac. So, even if his conclusion (quoted above) is true, who cares? The original iMac, even though it supposedly only offered snazzy design, seemed to do pretty well in the marketplace .

Given that, I think, somehow, iMacs, CRT and flat, offer more than just snazzy design. That is to say, this guy's full of crap.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    quote:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by steve666:

Actually, he's correct. My computer sits on the floor like everyone elses.

I would much rather have a $800 tower and I'm sure many other people would also. Why not offer both?.............................

------------------------------------------------------------------------

And if you owned a Cube, you'd probably put it on the floor too, wouldn't you!

I suppose you could use it as a food warmer, but WHY???

No, I wouldn't put the cube on the floor because I wouldn't buy one. I WOULD buy a $799 tower that was upgradeable. In all fairness, the $1299 iLamp is a good deal even if it isn't upgradeable (because it has MUCH better specs than the original iMac) if you are interested in only buying an LCD. However, with $200 CRTs available (great ones at that), a cheap tower would draw in more customers, and didn't Steve say he wanted to increase market share? I'm not knocking the new iMac, I'm just saying that there are millions of folks out there who would be happier with a cheap, upgradeable tower........................................
  • Reply 20 of 20
    nebrienebrie Posts: 483member
    The only Micheal Malone of Silicon valley is the editor of Forbes ASAP. Writes a bunch of dumb tech columns for different companies apparently.