Best solutions for replacing G3 iMac hard drive and memory?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Thanks to all of you for your help on the "My hard disk won't mount" thread. It was extremely helpful. I love Mac people.

Since my close call with my hard drive, I'm considering replacing my hard drive and upgrading my memory. (I have an iMac DV 400 Mhz.) So, I have two questions:

1. What should I look for when replacing my hard drive? What are some good brands? I want to spend less than $100, and I know some good 80GB ones exist around that price point.

2. Once I select a hard drive, what is the best way to open my iMac?

3. Once I've replaced the drive, what do I do next to set it up? Boot off the CD, then... format the drive? Or install the system? Or something else?

4. I'd like to upgrade one of the memory sticks... maybe with a 512 MB stick, but at least 256 MB. I currently have two 64 MB sticks running at 100 Mhz. Can I remove one stick and replace it with one that runs at 133 Mhz? Or do they have to both run at 100, so not to confuse my computer? Or should I replace both?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

GTSC

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    1) any dirt cheap NEW drive will work.

2) http://www.macworld.com/2001/10/bc/howtoimac/ half way down the page is where you need to look.

3) All three... Boot form CD, format, install.

4) pc133 will work in your iMac... they will run as pc100. So whichever is cheaper. You can replace one, both, none. Your computer will understand what you do and run all ram at the lowest ram's speed.

Good Luck
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Thanks for the advice, and the great link, too.

Question: The instructions suggest purchasing a hard drive with a speed no greater than 5,400 RPM as higher speeds may be too hot for an iMac. Is that true? Most of the drives I see are rated at 7,200 RPM.

Thanks!

GTSC
  • Reply 3 of 4
    casecomcasecom Posts: 314member
    Not true. Many people have put 7200 drives into fanless G3 iMacs with no problems, including myself (30 GB Maxtor DiamondMax Plus since July 2000 and still going strong).

Plus, drives now are generally cooler than they were three years ago.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gandalf the Semi-Coherent

Question: The instructions suggest purchasing a hard drive with a speed no greater than 5,400 RPM as higher speeds may be too hot for an iMac. Is that true? Most of the drives I see are rated at 7,200 RPM.

Not true. Go with 7,200. I'm running a Western Digital 80gb 7,200 RPM HD in a Cube. If it runs without a problem in a Cube, your iMac will be just fine. I got my HD a few months ago for about $60. It was the Western digital 80gb special edition (8 mb cache). If I were you, I would look for a Western Digital or a Maxtor. These are the two brands that Apple used when your iMac came out and one of these brands is probably the one in there already. You can get a great deal if you look for rebates or shop online (www.macmall.com) the most important thing though is that it is a new drive, not used, not refurbished, it has to be new. Good luck!