Cheap iMac wanted for my mom

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
My mom decided she wants a computer to go on the internet and I figure an iMac is her best bet. I want to get a low end model (I'm talking about the old bubble iMac) and get a great deal. Any suggestions?...................................... ......

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    max8319max8319 Posts: 347member
    ebay

i'm guessing a lot of people are trying to unload their old imacs in order to get the new imac and other macs (hopefully)
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Powermax has used iMacs of all types, going back to the original Bondi blue model, for as little as $499. There are advantages to buying used items from established businesses, I think, as opposed to unknown individuals, even if the price is a little higher.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Definately check eBay. Like previously posted, PowerMax is also a god place to check.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Is Powermax the only reputable place to buy used Macs or are there any others just as good? I can't think of any others myself. I also may end up buying a used G4 tower for myself........................
  • Reply 5 of 17
    ericeric Posts: 25member
    Why would you buy a used 1st gen iMac for $500 when you can get a brand new one for $700? It doesn't make any sense, especially since if you get a new one, it will last a few more years before an upgrade is required to keep up with speed and technology (firewire, mac os x).
  • Reply 6 of 17
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Why would you buy a used 1st gen iMac for $500 when you can get a brand new one for $700? It doesn't make any sense, especially since if you get a new one, it will last a few more years before an upgrade is required to keep up with speed and technology (firewire, mac os x).

Actually, with the new iMac G4, I might be able to get a very recent iMac for $500. She just wants to get on the internet, nothing else.....................
  • Reply 7 of 17
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    eric, for what his mother wants an older iMac would be fine.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Hi there . I don't know when you posted this but i have a imac for sale and i'm in the uk.

get in touch if i'm any use.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    for simple stuff, including quicken printing a used g3, mine runs tiger like a charm, get an inexpensive external cd burner to suplement the slot loading thing, some can be got for $100 so the poster says, even if you have to buy tiger or even panther it's cheap and colorfull, mine is strawberry and i will keep this till it dies.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    this thread started in 2002.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EmAn

eric, for what his mother wants an older iMac would be fine.

Anything less than a 1GHz G4 with plenty of RAM (512MB or more) will struggle with a lot of contemporary websites. The ubiquity of Flash is a big hurdle for getting old computers on the internet.

For example, this past weekend I visited my parents, and my mom has a new MBP to replace the old Powerbook G4/500 with 384MB RAM. The G4 is kind of just sitting around, so I used it a few times to hit the net; it was hard to use. They have FIOS, so download speed is not the problem -- the problem is the proliferation of resource-heavy websites, a category that almost all commercial sites fall under. I have a Powerbook 1GHz with 1GB of RAM, and it's OK for surfing the web and doing basic stuff, but I'm not sure for how long that will be the case. (However, it does do a sweet job at running CVGS )

With that said, you might be able to find an iMac G4, an eMac, or possibly a used mac mini that can be paired with the other necessary parts to make an under-500 dollar mac. But to be frank, you'll get the best bang for the buck if you just buy a new, entry-level mac. I would say that you can expect a new mac to be relatively useable for five years from the time of purchase.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut

this thread started in 2002.

Oops. I didn't notice that.

I'm guessing the situation is no longer relevant.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    she at least is an apple fan and can use an upgrade
  • Reply 14 of 17
    what did she ever end up getting?
  • Reply 15 of 17
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    You guys kill me - opening up a four-year-old thread.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davejm View Post

Hi there . I don't know when you posted this but i have a imac for sale and i'm in the uk.

get in touch if i'm any use.

What Is Your Email Address? I am interested In this iMac
  • Reply 17 of 17
    I accept with information:They have FIOS, so download speed is not the problem -- the problem is the proliferation of resource-heavy websites, a category that almost all commercial sites fall under. I have a Powerbook 1GHz with 1GB of RAM, and it's OK for surfing the web and doing basic stuff, but I'm not sure for how long that will be the case