is the panther network more stable?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi,

I'm using MacOSX 2.8 now. I get Kernel panics everytime I configure something on my XP-box while bouth computers are connected. I also get lots of kernel panics with NTFS-formatet USB-minidrives.

Does anyone with a 12"Rev.A Powerbook and Panther want to try configuring a connected XP-box to see if something has changed? I presume that there isn't a problem with NTFS anymore?

I've already informed apple on their feedback page, but with the 10.2.8 update nothing has changed.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    I don't think NTFS is natively readable in OS X, use FAT if you want compatibility. Maybe try this too: http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20497
  • Reply 2 of 6
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Panthers networking is pretty bad, I haven't been this disappointed since version 10.0. Wait for Apple to release a fixit(10.3.1) before updating. In fact I just got done uninstalling 10.3 from the 5 machines I installed it on at work. The thing really is plagued with problems.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    You guys must have some funny setups. I was just at the local computer shop getting a shitload of pictures from their network for the new website.

I opened a finder window, clicked networks... waited a few seconds... clicked WORKGROUP... clicked the putername.... enetered username and password... copied files from the share in the XP machine... closed my powerbook lid.

Came home.... opened the lid, and panther happily told me that it could no longer find the other network and would I like to disconnect?

Yes I would... and did... no problems. I very much doubt your problems are lying with panther. Possibly a confict with some other software ???
  • Reply 4 of 6
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

Came home.... opened the lid, and panther happily told me that it could no longer find the other network and would I like to disconnect?

No Beachball of Death? A much needed improvement.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Relic

Panthers networking is pretty bad, I haven't been this disappointed since version 10.0. Wait for Apple to release a fixit(10.3.1) before updating. In fact I just got done uninstalling 10.3 from the 5 machines I installed it on at work. The thing really is plagued with problems.

you must be on crack, working great on 4 our of 5 of my machines, and they are all difffernt kinds. #5 I am just waiting to update juno on(my mother uses machine 5 at her house) once juno is updated that machine will be on 10.3
  • Reply 6 of 6
    It's good to hear that at least some Computer-networks are working great with panther. I don't get Kernel Panics on normal use, even the beachball activity is acceptable. It's just when I am connected to a Windows machine that is configuring the Network WHILE I'm still connected.

Could someone please try to change for example the static-dynamic IP settings on the Windows box while connected? Perhaps the problem is just with my Powerbook.

Thanks again