Dock printers won't launch.

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm encountering a curious, rather frustrating problem with my install of Panther.

Printing for all printers -- USB and network -- works OK, but double-clicking on a printer from the Printer Setup Utility doesn't. It doesn't launch the little printer app (or Dock printer, as some call it) like it's supposed to, and there's no way to see the queue for a given printer, or control its jobs.

Have fixed permissions; have installed the Print Aid package from allosx.com; have tried deleting print center plists and caches; have removed and added printers over again. Have even tried checking this problem out w/ a new user. Same problem. Printing works OK, but double-clicking to show queues doesn't.

Any advice...? I'm just puzzled on this one. I did an archive & install from 10.2.8.

Printers involved: Canon S820, Canon Fiery 3000, HP LaserJet.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    (bump)

Huh. Has no one else experienced this?

Further research: dock printers (which show queues) work fine on an older iBook that I upgraded to Panther. I further learned that a dock printer is actually a little application (PrinterProxy v.3.0), stored in ~/Printers. The iBook has these; the Powerbook doesn't, no matter how many times I remove and add a printer. However, if I attempt to move the current l'il printer app from the iBook to the Powerbook, some process will just delete 'em when a print job is sent. Grrr. So far nothing I do can get these guys working correctly on the Powerbook.

I can't quite bring myself to reinstall the entire OS just for this one problem; OTOH it's a really nice feature I'd like to have. Without them, you can't control individual jobs in a printing queue!

Anyone know more about this than I do?