Fastest way to get an iMac?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Is it generally quicker via Apple's online store or to just show up at a dealer store?



I know many stores are taking pre-orders which mean any iMac they receive are spoken for.

Does the Apple online orders take precedence over shipments to dealers?

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 13
    I'd go straight to the online store......straight from the horse's mouth, and all.



    SdC
  • Reply 2 of 13
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Go to an Apple Retail Store on January 21 if you want the $1799 model.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    when i got my iMac in 1999, i actually got it faster from Outpost.com than the apple store...had a wait time of a week plus taxes at the apple store...so i canceled my order there and got next day shipping from outpost cheaper than the apple store (since there was no taxes)...still, i am getting the new iMac from apple itself...thinking they should have the new ones first and i do want to support apple as much as possible...plus the shipping is free this time (lighter machine with smaller box=cheaper to ship for apple and other sites)...still have to pay taxes (does apple have a store or facilities in New Mexico???) but will live with that....will be harder to stomach the 1799 price though when the revision B comes out in like 3-4 months and has a bus speed bump to 133 and a 17 inch monitor as an option....oh well, still can't wait...especially with photos like this <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=000200&p=2"; target="_blank">http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb. cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=000200&p=2</a>

    (half way down the page)

    to keep me wanting one right now....g



    damn that monitor looks good!



    [ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: thegelding ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 13
    jrcjrc Posts: 804member
    [quote]Originally posted by thegelding:

    <strong>when i got my iMac in 1999, i actually got it faster from Outpost.com than the apple store...had a wait time of a week plus taxes at the apple store...so i canceled my order there and got next day shipping from outpost cheaper than the apple store (since there was no taxes)...still, i am getting the new iMac from apple itself...thinking they should have the new ones first and i do want to support apple as much as possible...plus the shipping is free this time (lighter machine with smaller box=cheaper to ship for apple and other sites)...still have to pay taxes (does apple have a store or facilities in New Mexico???) but will live with that....will be harder to stomach the 1799 price though when the revision B comes out in like 3-4 months and has a bus speed bump to 133 and a 17 inch monitor as an option....oh well, still can't wait...especially with photos like this <a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=000200&p=2"; target="_blank">http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb. cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=000200&p=2</a>

    (half way down the page)

    to keep me wanting one right now....g



    damn that monitor looks good!



    [ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: thegelding ]</strong><hr></blockquote>



    Still, don't the WIRES look awfully distracting?



    Maybe someone will come out with a desktop (physical, not computer) pattern that looks like a tangle of cords, so it will camoflage them?
  • Reply 5 of 13
    well, my keyboard and mouse are on a tray under my desk that pulls out...so keyboard and wire and mouse and wire will not be seen....so just speaker wires...which are small and will be toward the back of the computer...i think it is gonna look great on my light pine desk....g



    but dang you...posted that photo as my desktop wallpaper here at work and use to love to look at it (still do)...but it was always that beautiful monitor that i instantly focused on....now i keep looking at the wires....thanks <img src="graemlins/bugeye.gif" border="0" alt="[Skeptical]" /> g



    [ 01-14-2002: Message edited by: thegelding ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 13
    bellebelle Posts: 1,574member
    I'd definitely avoid the Apple Store online. I waited weeks for my original iMac and felt sick every time I passed a store and saw one in the window.



    I'm going to pick mine up at whichever store has the $1799 model first.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    [quote]Originally posted by Belle:

    <strong>I waited weeks for my original iMac and felt sick every time I passed a store and saw one in the window. </strong><hr></blockquote>



    I was at Comp USA on 5th Ave. on August 15, 1998 for the public debut of the original iMac. (Even talked to a reporter and was quoted in a New York Post story the next day.) They had one left when I got there. But I decided to wait. I bought mine (for my wife) from J&R a week later and had it shipped out of state to save on tax.



    If they have enough stock, brick-and-mortar stores are usually a better bet. In addition, even though tracking your UPS shipment cross-country is fun, nothing beats the satisfaction of walking out with a shiny new iMac box!



    I am so tempted to get a new iMac. But I have to wait until my cashflow gets going again. Why did I ever decide to leave NYC and go back to school?



    Escher
  • Reply 8 of 13
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Escher:

    [QB]



    nothing beats the satisfaction of walking out with a shiny new iMac box!



    Yeah, I know what you mean. It's like showing off to everyone, "hey look what I just bought".

    Kind of hard to do that when it arrives at your door and you're in your pajamas.



  • Reply 9 of 13
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I think if possible your best bet is to go to an Apple retail store.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    crusadercrusader Posts: 1,129member
    With any luck there still will be one left by the time I get down to the apple store.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Well if you can get to an Apple Store all of the computers have a "Contact Me" on them. Put in your information and what you want and I guess they'll let you know when it's in. I'm not sure if that's exactly how it works since it's new, but I assume that's how it works.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    taqtaq Posts: 76member
    Do you guys know if education orders are sent before or after regular orders? I ordered mine through the Apple education store. It's a little cheaper there. I remember Apple use to give education purchases priority. For my sake I hope it still does...I'm obsessing over this thing. I don't think I'll be able to get any sleep until I get mine.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Taq:

    <strong>Do you guys know if education orders are sent before or after regular orders? I ordered mine through the Apple education store. It's a little cheaper there. I remember Apple use to give education purchases priority. For my sake I hope it still does...I'm obsessing over this thing. I don't think I'll be able to get any sleep until I get mine.</strong><hr></blockquote>



    Usually they're shipped either at the same time or later.
Sign In or Register to comment.