Fax Issue

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hey

I really want to set up the fax on my computer. I did everything it says and I had my friend send me a fax. The computer didn't recognize that it was a fax and my phone rang. I'm running DSL, does that affect anything. Please help.

Thank you.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Hey

Someone must have some idea. Please help.

Thank You.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by 10splayer

Hey

Someone must have some idea. Please help.

Thank You.

Please don't take this the wrong way... you do have the modem cord plugged in right? I'm sure you do, anyways.

In system preferences you have the box checked 'receive faxes on this computer'? And how many rings is it set to answer by? Are you waiting long enough?

I'm having some trouble myself, I can't seem to receive a fax when I'm dialing to my cell phone, but I can receive them? Any ideas?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Hey

I have a DSL line, not a phone modem. Do you think that is the reason I can't get it to work. The number is my home number, correct? When it asks for my number in SP do I put it like: 1-888-454-5848? Or is there another way to put it. Any ideas?

Thank You.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    I'm pretty sure that you need to actually plug the modem into a phone jack, I don't think DSL will understand a fax signal (which is almost identical to a modem signal, I've listened to both too many times).

That would be cool if you could receive faxes through the DSL though.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Hey

DSL is plugged right into my phone jack. I wish it would work, I would benefit a great deal from it.

Thank You.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    I'm probably completely wrong about this, but anyway -

Is this correct? Your DSL comes from your telephone line, is connected with a telephone cord to your DSL modem, and then goes from the modem to the computer with an ethernet line.

If so, try putting a splitter in between the wall outlet and the DSL modem. Run one end from the splitter into the DSL modem. On the other end of the splitter, attach one of the telephone filters, and then run a line from the filter to the telephone jack of your computer.

Quick but not necessarily completely accurate explanation: The "DSL" uses a larger spectrum than the telephone. The telephone only uses the lower end, and the filter gets rid of the interference from all the other information transmitted in the "DSL", which it considers to be noise. If the fax information is all in the voice audio (lower) range, then the computer fax program might be confused by all the other information.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Hey

What if I used a splitter to have one connect with my DSL and the other have another telephone cord to to the internal modem. Do you think the internal could pick it up if I had a filter on it?

Thank You.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    SEVEN STEPS

1. phone jack in wall

2. plug in cord splitter

3. run first line to DSL modem

4. run second line to micro-filter

5. plug micro-filter into modem jack of computer

6. fax

7. this thread should have been in the Genius Bar section, please try not to clog up the OS X discussion forum with questions that could be easily answered.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Hey

What is a Micro-Filter?

Thank You.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Hey

Now that I have it set up, does it matter if it says that my internal modem is not set up in the Networks prefs? Or will it recognize the fax tone and will answer it?

Thank you.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Hey

No answer...thought you said it was genius what you said.

Thank You.