How to use a pc .icon file on a mac?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
quite confused about that, all my original pc icons archive can not be read by my mac, so any solution for this out there, with which tool or do I need to converte all of them with something ?

and how to convert a png file to a mac icon,thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8

Iconographer X works wonderfully. It's exactly what you want.

Among its list of features:

Quote:

- handles all icon sizes: 128 x 128 (thumbnail), 48 x 48 (huge), 32 x 32 (large), 16 x 16 (small), 16 x 12 (mini)

- full support for the 32-bit icons with 8-bit masks present in Mac OS 8.5 and above

- full support for Mac OS X .icns and Windows 9x/Windows XP .ico icon files

- importing and exporting of icons to Photoshop, PNG, TIFF and other image formats

I think that takes care of your requirements.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    seen_xuseen_xu Posts: 134member
    I've already got this recommendation, but what a stupid boy I am, I don't know how to use it to converte, could kind Brad Bro give me some hints?

LOL, Thx.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    I someone else hasn't done it by the time I'm back, I'll write up a brief tutorial after my trip this evening.

Best of luck.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

I someone else hasn't done it by the time I'm back, I'll write up a brief tutorial after my trip this evening.

Best of luck.

I am waiting for that small tutorial, man.

thx you very much.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    th0rth0r Posts: 78member
    1) Open windows .ico file with iconographer

2) File > Save into file...
  • Reply 6 of 8
    I am running panther, when I open .icn files with iconographer, it says bad pixmap name, and then crashed the app.

don't know why.

confused!

otherwise, it icon opened, only half of the icon size will be displayed, and seems to be crapped. but those icons works fine on windows box.

so any other ideas?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Ack! I just tried a Windows ico file and got the same error. \

How unfortunate. Well, you could do some workarounds by converting the Windows icon to, say, a PNG file and then import that into Iconographer. It'd also be good to send the developer an e-mail so he/she is aware of this issue.

Sorry.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Ack! I just tried a Windows ico file and got the same error. \

How unfortunate. Well, you could do some workarounds by converting the Windows icon to, say, a PNG file and then import that into Iconographer. It'd also be good to send the developer an e-mail so he/she is aware of this issue.

Sorry.

ok, I will try some PNG files instead, check if that can work.

thx, brad!