Networking OS X & OS 9

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Apologies if this has been discussed to death before. This is my last resort!

I'm trying to get my Panther machine to talk to an OS 9 machine on the same network. I've tried everything. I've checked everything I can think of, but my machine can only see the other OS X machines on the same network, and nothing else.

The PCs can see the OS 9 machine okay, and the OS 9 machine can see the OS X machines okay - but not the other way around. We've simplified the network as much as we can and the problem still persists!

We've eventually found out the reason why our OS X machines can't see our PCs - the problem seems to be PC MACLAN. I don't think it's too keen on OS X.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    How are they looking for each other? AppleTalk or TCP/IP?

If AppleTalk, the automatic zone and node numbers assigned may be duplicates (usually zone 65280, node 128 default), so try some manual entries.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I have tried networking between OS X and OS 9 and it was a complete failure.

The Apple technician said me it was a mess and it only works one way : from os X to os 9 (or was it the contrary ?). She say that it was much more simple to do a network between a mac and a pc than to os 9 to os X.

That's why i am so angry that my dual is not here. i can't make a network between OS 9 and OS X. and my older machines are too weak or refuse for obscure reason to update to mac os X.

Sorry for disapoint you, i fear that there is no solution (at least easy ones).
  • Reply 3 of 3
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Thanks for replying guys?

That Apple tech's comments would certainly make sense if it were OS 9 could see OS X but not vice versa.

Bummer?

I would have thought that it was a simple matter for the machines to see each other - it seems ridiculous that Apple want people to upgrade to OS X, but suddenly you can't see the other users on the network (that you could see before).

We must be missing something?

\