Canon LiDE 30 and Panther

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Is anyone using a Canon LiDE 30 with Panther? Mine is not working and I am trying to rule out possibilities.

I have reinstalled the drivers from Canon's site but nothing can see the scanner. Not Image Capture, VueScan, Canon ToolBox, or even System Profiler. Tried it plugged into my USB hub and then directly into the computer and used a known good USB cable.

Anyone have any ideas for me? Is anyone able to use theirs at all? Anything?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    i'll give it a shot tonight, panther should arrive today in the mail.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by israces

Is anyone using a Canon LiDE 30 with Panther? Mine is not working and I am trying to rule out possibilities.

I recently tried to use my LiDE 30, first time I think after having installed Panther, and it didn't work.

However... a different kind of animal than a Panther was responsible:

Oh, sure. She's cute. But you can see the mischief in her eyes, can't you? Don't let her anywhere near FireWire cables, speaker cables... or USB cables.

Having replaced the cable with a spare I had on hand...

The scanner worked fine. I'd have to try again to make sure that it works with Canon's own software, but it certainly worked through Photoshop without a problem.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    I know the sucker worked in beta builds of Panther...but I can't get it to work on my G5 and the release Panther. The installer now crashes.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Just got home... Yes, my LiDE 30 is working fine with Panther, including with the not-so-great Canon software that supports the buttons on the front of the scanner.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

I have reinstalled the drivers from Canon's site but nothing can see the scanner. Not Image Capture, VueScan, Canon ToolBox, or even System Profiler. Tried it plugged into my USB hub and then directly into the computer and used a known good USB cable.

Anyone have any ideas for me? Is anyone able to use theirs at all? Anything?

israces,

My Canon 1220 won't work with the new 15"PB/Panther (VueScan and Canon s/w). It works fine with my almost year old 12"PB & Panther.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

Just got home... Yes, my LiDE 30 is working fine with Panther, including with the not-so-great Canon software that supports the buttons on the front of the scanner.

Crap! Looks like there will be a trip to the Canon Authorized Palace of Suck tomorrow. Thanks for the help. BTW, just for curiosity's sake, what is your setup?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Crap! Looks like there will be a trip to the Canon Authorized Palace of Suck tomorrow. Thanks for the help. BTW, just for curiosity's sake, what is your setup?

Funny you should ask that... After thinking about it for months, I finally posted to the "Pic of computer setup" thread just last night.

My Set-up
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Did everyone get their scanner to work? I still can't get my to work consistently. I own a Dual 1.25 G4 and a Canon 1240 scanner. I've successfully installed the newest drivers and scanned once. But after the first scan, the scanner driver suddenly can't find the scanner anymore. If you unplug the USB cable and plug it in again, the scanner driver can once again see the scanner and allow me to scan one document before the scanner is lost again.

The reason why I specifically say that the driver can't find the scanner is because the computer seems to be able to see the scanner at all times (using system profiler). Only the scanning software gets disconnected with the scanner.

This problem didn't exist in Jaguar and it showed up when I installed panther. I did a clean install so the old drivers were not carried over. However, I believe the version number of the scanner driver that I used is the same for both Jaguar and Panther.

Is this only me or can it be reproduced with other peoples computers?