VPC slower under Panther?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
It seems just about everything I do in VPC is slower, from browsing the web (for some web apps I have to, they don't work with any Mac browsers), and application startup seems slowed.

Now I haven't benchmarked any of this, but I've been using this setup since I got my PB last March, and since installing Panther, it all *feels* slower (so does Classic, but that's another thread).

Anyone else using VPC and Panther notice anything one way or the other?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    VPC is not useable on G5's. But I guess it's OK for G4s and G3s.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I haven't noticed any difference.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Very weird because I would say mine seems faster!
  • Reply 4 of 13
    timotimo Posts: 353member
    Fast or slow, can you print to the mac postscript printer in VPC under Panther?
  • Reply 5 of 13
    I haven't tried printing, but I never could print from VPC to any of the printers on my network.

Just to clarify, the slowness I sometimes see is just in VPC and Classic. I can still have many apps open (like I do now, about 14 including Outlook via Classic, and VPC running Win2K).

Anyway, must be just me since I'm not hearing too many other people complaining about it
  • Reply 6 of 13
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    VPC is just as slow on my G5 with Panther as it was with Jaguar. So slow that'll be sometime next year before any PC app manages to launch.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

VPC is just as slow on my G5 with Panther as it was with Jaguar. So slow that'll be sometime next year before any PC app manages to launch.

Uh? Excuse me?

Virtual PC is not supposed to be able to run at all on the G5 because the G5 chip lacks the big-little endian flipping mode that the G4 has.

Anyhow, for what it's worth, Virtual PC feels like it's running at about the same speed on Panther as it did on Jaguar on my dual 500 G4s.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    On my iBook 700 VPC runs much slower under Panther than it did under Jaguar. I'd say easily a quarter the speed. I'm using VPC version 5, however, not 6. Perhaps that makes a difference.

At first, I thought journaling was the problem, but it seems that's not the case. I've disabled journaling and VPC is still excruciatingly slow. So slow in fact, that I've moved my VPC stuff over to my older, 350 MHz desktop Mac running Jaguar so that I could continue to use it until I find out why VPC is so slow on my iBook. VPC runs pretty slow on the 350 MHz machine, but it's at least usable compared to running on the iBook with Panther.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Uh? Excuse me?

Virtual PC is not supposed to be able to run at all on the G5 because the G5 chip lacks the big-little endian flipping mode that the G4 has.

Please notice that I said VPC on my G5 is "So slow that'll be sometime next year before any PC app manages to launch.

This is my cute way of saying that VPC won't run until an update that isn't expected until sometime next year.

Maybe you should revisit that decision to cut back on your caffeine intake.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Don't forget you can always run VPC 3 or something. That will run under G5s, iThink.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    bigbluebigblue Posts: 341member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ryaxnb

Don't forget you can always run VPC 3 or something. That will run under G5s, iThink.

Last week I read somewhere (forgot the link) there's an open source VPC (beta) that already works on a G5 ?

Open source ! Go frog yourself, MS
  • Reply 12 of 13
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    VPC 4 or earlier on a G5? Nope. They won't run under Classic. However I think I've read that SoftWindows and RealPC will work. If anyone would like to send them my way I'd be happy to test them on my G5

As for the open source alternative, are you think of Bochs? If so, I haven't tried it myself but it is apparently very very slow.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    w.r.t. Classic (not VPC), it may feel a bit slower due to the fact that windows are doubled buffered (notice in Panther it does not have the hideous ugly window redraw issues it had in Jaguar). things like scrolling do feel slower, but classic feels so much nicer to use.