Why doesn't OS X have system wide equalizer?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Wouldn't it be nice if OS X had a system wide equalizer? I was just thinking this when I popped in a DVD. Haven't seen Panther DVD Player but I assume it doesn't have an EQ.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    'cause most people aren't that into the "beep" of the system sound.

:P
  • Reply 2 of 13
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    I think Aquatic has a good point...Apple caters to the print industry and such with ColorSync...why not to the music industry?

I think a system-wide EQ would be sweet. I also think that this might be something Unsanity might manage?

I also wish there were a way I could pipe sound going into the mic port out of the speakers...any help there?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Well, because frankly, the music industry uses their own hardware level equalizers and sound cards. Software level EQ is not up to quality; in fact many of the sound cards cannot even be manipulated by apple sound controls (like volume up/down).

If you want, you can use something like audio hijack to manipulate audio from any program.

Spart - use "sound studio" for a mic -> line out pass through.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Thanks.

I still say that a system EQ would be neat...I'd love to make everything coming out of my iMac be a little heavier on the low end.

iChat conversations with a messed up EQ would be great...
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by Spart

Thanks.

I still say that a system EQ would be neat...I'd love to make everything coming out of my iMac be a little heavier on the low end.

iChat conversations with a messed up EQ would be great...

I know what you mean, i've noticed that i get a ssshh ssshhh sound, kinda like a wirebrush on a symbol, that goes straight through my aching teeth, But then i do need to see a dentist
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by chych

Spart - use "sound studio" for a mic -> line out pass through.

Actually, I was looking for something that would run in the background and maybe have a simple pref pane. Anything out there like this?
  • Reply 7 of 13
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I bet Detour or ReWire will add this.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    I just wish there was a way to adjust the system audio buffer for an pro audio card in OSX. You can do it in individual applications, Logic, reason, but not OSX, system sounds, itunes. Leads to nasty clicks and pops.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Besides being able to set a system wide EQ profile that would unify sound quality between programs like iTunes and Quicktime, am I the only one who has ever had a conversation over iChat that could barely be heard, but with some EQing might be bearable? Of course, you could just wait until every program that uses sound adds an EQ control panel, but a system EQ would solve many problems.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vieuxnez View Post

Besides being able to set a system wide EQ profile that would unify sound quality between programs like iTunes and Quicktime, am I the only one who has ever had a conversation over iChat that could barely be heard, but with some EQing might be bearable? Of course, you could just wait until every program that uses sound adds an EQ control panel, but a system EQ would solve many problems.

Wow.... I completely forgot about this thread until I got the e-mail notification that it'd been updated (4 years later!)

Anyway.... I agree. The iChat point is very valid. I use Logic Express and do quite a bit of audio work with my Macs, so I have a lot more options than a "standard" system... but I could see where an "average" setup could use EQ.... esp for iChat..

...great point!
  • Reply 11 of 13
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    I'm glad OSX keeps it simple: just a volume slider.

If I want an equaliser, I'll move some buttons on my stereo.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    vistas has already one eq for each app :P
  • Reply 13 of 13
    The combination of BruteFIR and Jack would do what you want. If the apps you have in mind can take audio units then there are several free ones that would do it.